A New Open Movie Project

Discussions and feedback around the Open Projects such as Orange (Elephants Dream), Peach (Big Buck Bunny), Apricot (Yo Frankie!)...

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

lennyrawles

A New Open Movie Project

Postby lennyrawles » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:41 pm

Hi Everyone

I am hoping to find some direction in which to move with regards to a non-profit project I am trying to produce.

The nature of this project is an animated science fiction thriller for which a full script exists. However, despite my knowledge and skills with various CG disciplines, I simply dont have got the necessary 3D skills or resources on my own to do this project justice or to make it what it could be.
This movie is based on a script that I wrote in the early nineties and I have since been looking for a way to do the story and my ideas around it some justice.
On my own, all I’ve managed to produce are five Flash movies (episodes) of varying quality and success. You can search for Demithyst and find them on Newgrounds. One of these movies (Part 4 of the series) has won an award on Newgrounds dot com but looking back at it, my solitary 2D animation efforts, and the time I had to devote to it, have compromised it.

Is there any advice that any of you's may be able to give on how to go about turning this project into an open collaboration or "open movie project" - open for participation to anyone with the necessary Blender skills?

I’ll consider it a privilege to answer any questions you may have in order to clarify or elaborate on my question.

Your advice and assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

techtoast

Postby techtoast » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:36 am

All though I am not an expert on blender, I am very fast to learn. I have wanted to dive into a project but have not had any basis or ideas on which to build anything. However I am very fluent in 3d space and know my way around blender and have several basic and advanced techniques under my belt. If you are interested, I would be willing to start work on the project immediately and for free(of course). I think very logically and intelligently, and am a perfectionist, so you can rest assured everything in my power and knowledge will be applied to taking your vision to the fullest it can be. let me know if you are interested.

lennyrawles

To he who waits...

Postby lennyrawles » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:47 pm

I actually forgot that I posted this here, but I am pleased to have received your reply, Techtoast.
Visit www.demithyst.com to see more about the project, where you'll also find links to existing material published under the project. Let me know...

I'm info AT scarback DOT co DOT za.

techtoast

Postby techtoast » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:41 pm

i'm confused...are you still interested in 3d or are you back into 2d?

lennyrawles

Confusion

Postby lennyrawles » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:11 am

Short Answer:
An atmospheric, violent and compelling 3D version of Demithyst is still very much something I want to see done.

Long Answer:
Let's put it this way... I dont see why there can't be a main movie - sort of Demithyst The Movie, in 3D, along side the 2D work. The 2D work would underpin the main 3D event and would be published separately as supporting content.
I say this because the plot for the story allows infinite sequels and almost unlimited sub-stories.

If you look at the Star Wars franchise you'll understand what I mean. The six main movies Ep.1 Phantom Menace through to Ep 6 Return of the Jedi were the main events. All manner of supporting content has been published, from coffee table books to TV series to comic books.

catinthehat

Postby catinthehat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:19 pm

I'll help to just let me know if you need me. I'll do what I can.

lennyrawles

Postby lennyrawles » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:52 pm

catinthehat wrote:I'll help to just let me know if you need me. I'll do what I can.

Hello catinthehat, what are your areas of expertise? I need character design and modelling, rigging and animation, mostly.

The rest of the work would be set building, matte paintings and effects animation.

The characters must be as realistic as possible, like the cut scenes you see in many of the more modern games like Splinter Cell, Hitman, etc.

Also, Techtoast, havent heard from you in a while... you still with us?

catinthehat

Postby catinthehat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:35 pm

I can't do matte paintings.I'm working on character animation now.I have quite mastered it yet I might before you get started. All the rest I'm pretty good.

lennyrawles

Postby lennyrawles » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:52 am

catinthehat wrote:I can't do matte paintings.I'm working on character animation now.I have quite mastered it yet I might before you get started. All the rest I'm pretty good.

Ok, character animation and riggin is most of the challenge the way i see it now...
Can i see some examples of what you've done?

catinthehat

Postby catinthehat » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:09 am

give me a week or two to make something and I'll put it up on YouTube then I'll write you back

Sign68

Postby Sign68 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:56 am

Why?? is it will took a long time to upload something in youtube.,?

danvds3

Postby danvds3 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:03 am

Is there a synopsis to your script? I'm working on something ridiculously similar (see my post) maybe we can join?
"An artist's mistakes are His best work" - me.

robert brannan

Postby robert brannan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:37 am

I watched the last episode and the project looks very interesting. Please let me know if you need a composer for future episodes. I would be happy to help. My music and portfolio can be found at
http://brannanmusic.com

email:brannanmusic@aol.com

Good Luck with the project:)

techtoast

Postby techtoast » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:08 pm

i'm sorry about that (a year is hardly something forgiveable) but my blender skills have greatly improved and i am still interested. i have some time now to work on this.

contacts:
MSN: lukebartee@gmail.com
EMAIL: lukebartee@comcast.net

woody730b

animator

Postby woody730b » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:58 am

I would be willing to help on this project. I have experience with modeling mostly. I can do simple rigs as well.

Return to “Blender Open Projects”