importing background image in 2.5

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Riptyde

importing background image in 2.5

Postby Riptyde » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:26 pm

I have found where you toggle the visibility of a background image in 2.5, but I can't find where you import and image (locate the file etc.) Am I just that blind or is it some place I don't know of yet with the new version?

Riptyde

Nikprodanov

Postby Nikprodanov » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:03 am

Nkey Panel, go to "Background Image" secion and enable the checkbox for it.

Riptyde

Postby Riptyde » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:07 pm

Yes I have done that, but there is no place in that area to select a .jpeg file.

The only options I get are

Render result
size
transparency
and offset

Previously you would go under view and choose the background image button. That is also missing.

Nikprodanov

Postby Nikprodanov » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:04 pm

Get a more recent build, there's a "Load" button where "Render Result" is on Alpha 0.

cocomihai

Postby cocomihai » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:11 pm

Load your image in the uv image editor,
in the 3D view properties window (N key) you can enable the Background Image
dont forget to toggle orthographic view (numlock 5 or keypad 5)

(i found this on http://bohemiantruckstop.blogspot.com/2 ... pdate.html)

Riptyde

Postby Riptyde » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:34 am

cocomihai

Yup, I found a similar explanation and then the N key stuff worked.

Thanks

Rip

Kai-Cent

Import Image

Postby Kai-Cent » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:42 am

Hi
Well i posted allready somewhere else about this problem i have. when i load a background image i want to know the size of the image (proportions). example 1024 x 1024 to set my rendering according to the image, but it doesnt show me that in the property of the background image. Now i have to go to the UV editor to see the size or check it in my folder or file this takes up to much time and i wonder if there is a way of seeing the image size without changing the window like it has been in Blender 2.49
Any suggestions??

greetings

dimuMurray

Postby dimuMurray » Mon May 09, 2011 5:53 am

Noticed something odd when importing background images with version 2.5.7. I had a few images with aspect ratio 16:9 but with different dimensions. When I imported these images their scale seemed to be normalized so that all the images have the same dimensions.

The best work around I have come up with so far is to pad the smaller images so that they are the same dimensions as the largest image prior to importing them into Blender. I tried tweaking the scale of the images via the 'Size' parameter but that was somewhat imprecise (I'm working from architectural plans so I need a fairly high level of precision).

Is there an easier way around this? Specifically, is there someway to load background images without the 'normalization' occurring?

Aaaron2295

Postby Aaaron2295 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:02 am

I have a different problem then all of you. For some reason after I choose my picture that I want to use and the check box is checked it still doesnt show the picture (I have it in perp mode and it is not in a set view). I need help...

stiv

Postby stiv » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:16 am

I have it in perp mode and it is not in a set view

You need to be in Top/Front/Side Ortho (not perspective) or Camera view, depending on your Axis settings.

If you need a User Ortho or Perspective view, a Plane with an image texture is your friend.

Aaaron2295

Postby Aaaron2295 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:55 pm

Thank you so much. I felt like throwing my computer into the wall for a bit. Thanks for the help!

Aamir Raza

Postby Aamir Raza » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:26 pm

stiv wrote:
I have it in perp mode and it is not in a set view

You need to be in Top/Front/Side Ortho (not perspective) or Camera view, depending on your Axis settings.

If you need a User Ortho or Perspective view, a Plane with an image texture is your friend.

I'm having the same problem, but my image still won't show. Well, I'm trying to use a movie (avi) as my background and I'm in ortho view but it won't show!!?

I used Voodoo Tracker, then generated a python script, ran it and then I wanna use my footage so I added it as my background image but it won't show. All I see are the tracket black dots from the python script.

My blender version is 2.5.7.1 because the voodoo script doesn't work with the new version.

Here is a screen:

Return to “Interface & Tools”