What are you missing in your gamedev toolchain ?

Discussions and feedback around the Open Projects such as Orange (Elephants Dream), Peach (Big Buck Bunny), Apricot (Yo Frankie!)...

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

kakapo

Postby kakapo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:22 pm

kat wrote: (smooth 'groups' need to be exportable rather than being used as an interpretive 'slice and dice' that splits the mesh up into subsections - vertex count matters in games [as you may know])...

look at how a vertex buffer which gets used in opengl or directx looks like. the normal gets stored with a vertex. a vertex can't have multiple normals. this means no matter how you do hard edges in a 3d modeling program (smoothing groups, the maya method, edge split modifier,...), in the end vertices will have to be split at hard edges for the gpu.
Last edited by kakapo on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kat

Postby kat » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:34 pm

kakapo wrote:
kat wrote: (smooth 'groups' need to be exportable rather than being used as an interpretive 'slice and dice' that splits the mesh up into subsections - vertex count matters in games [as you may know])...

look at how a vertex buffer which gets used in opengl or directx looks like. the normal get stored with a vertex. a vertex can't have multiple normals. this means no matter how you do hard edges in a 3d modeling program (smoothing groups, the maya method, edge split modifier,...), in the end vertices will have to be split at hard edges for the gpu.
So why, for example, do the various iterations of the UT engine 'ignore' forced groups but not Max smoothing (this is for UT3 in particular). If what you say is true then a split vert is a split vert regardless as to how it was created and game engines should be treating them all the same, the trouble is they don't and this is rather perplexing.

kakapo

Postby kakapo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:49 pm

what i have said is true. vertices at hard edges will always be separated in the vertex buffer.

i don't know the internals of the UT 3 engine but i could imagine its model loader unfortunately merges the vertices again. :) some mesh optimizing algorithms do this (for example the ones of the d3dx library have options for this).

UT 3 probably loads the model, optimizes the mesh and then splits vertices according to the max smoothing groups.

what format does the UT 3 engine use?

for such cases blender would need a special exporter which converts the blender edge data into the needed smoothing group information for that format. this wouldn't be very hard to do. somebody just would have to do it.

kat

Postby kat » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:52 am

kakapo wrote:what i have said is true. vertices at hard edges will always be separated in the vertex buffer.

i don't know the internals of the UT 3 engine but i could imagine its model loader unfortunately merges the vertices again. :) some mesh optimizing algorithms do this (for example the ones of the d3dx library have options for this).

UT 3 probably loads the model, optimizes the mesh and then splits vertices according to the max smoothing groups.

what format does the UT 3 engine use?

for such cases blender would need a special exporter which converts the blender edge data into the needed smoothing group information for that format. this wouldn't be very hard to do. somebody just would have to do it.
Yep I'm on the case ;o) UT uses it's own format but it does import ASE models for which there is an import/export script. I've been in touch with the author to see what he thinks about the posibilities of inclusion.

killpotts

Postby killpotts » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:20 am

Two words: Smoothing groups

Especially important when working with programs other than blender. Most other apps\game engines support smoothing groups. Blender generally does not. I notice errors in smoothing whenever I export or import files with blender, which kind of kills the whole point of using blender in the first place if your just going to have to redo that part of the mesh in a different program anyways.

h_y_ch

Dynamic Text in Game engin

Postby h_y_ch » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:31 am

the blender 2.5 plan to make every thing dynamic, is't posible to make text/font dynamic in BGE or other Game engine, the original is use text bitmap ,I think it's ugly, in game and science usage sometimes want show dynamic 3d text, I hope text is more friendly in Game engine and animotion

DaZycho

Postby DaZycho » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:55 am

WOW!

Here is my wish list, hope it came to the right place and that the blender Gods see it:)

1. I would like to have the logic panel as nodes instead of how it is now, even though it work nice, sometimes it can get REALLY messy. Think of being able to group some actions and be able to give it a better structure. That would actually be much easier to work with. A problem with the nodes in general is that the lines go through the node when it is connected in the "wrong" order, which makes it look messy. (If you make a simple node material and move the output node to the other side of the other node you will get what I mean.)

2. I don't know how is it now, but are you able to connect one objects sensors to another actuators in a nice way without coding? That would also be nice.

3. I would also want to have new actuators that makes it easy and fast to create a mouselook function without any coding. Think of a actuator where you can make a mouselook in seconds and be able to make it only on the x or y and both. A improved camera actuator would also be nice. And a new "shoot" actuator, where you simply can set up a shooting mechanism, but the most important with that would be to make this mechanism without ever creating a bullet. It should just be calculated if it would hit or not, this would speed up many games in blender drastically.

4. Instead of only be able to writing numbers in for example in the motion actuator, writing in property would give the logic a new dimension that only could be obtained with coding otherwise.

5. A new array property would be fantastic, so you don't need to use coding to be able to create for example a rpg.

6. In general I think that logic bricks should be improved with new functions for game creators to quickly be able to make games with as little unnecessary coding as possible. So I think that the perfect improvement would be to make others able to program their own logic bricks easily, so that people could improve blender and share it on the web. I think that is what blender needs. :) :) :)

7. Auto-naming of sensors. That would save some time that you cant loose, because some times you forget what you was thinking on while logicing bricking.

8. When it comes to texturing it would be handy if you could select a face in ether the UV image editor or the 3d window and have the same face (edge or vertices's) in both the windows.

9. When you select some faces to create a seam you make each face individual, it's supposed to be as that, but there should also be a function to mark a seam along the outline of the selection!

10. You should be able to choose if the object should be affected by gravity or not, or you should be able to set a force and torque to a static object.

//Da Zycho

bpatters

Postby bpatters » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:25 pm

I'd like a way to import models from Maya and 3DStudio that contain animations and preserve the rigging/skinning/animation. There's no way I'm going to make everyone who does 3D modeling switch to Blender just so I can use it, even if I'd like to :).

Return to “Blender Open Projects”