Watch out for WITHOUT_BF_OVERWRITE_INSTALL

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

nobulart

Watch out for WITHOUT_BF_OVERWRITE_INSTALL

Postby nobulart » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:41 pm

https://projects.blender.org/plugins/sc ... sion=26839

For years I have had my working blender folder set as the destination for my SVN builds. The above mentioned parameter was added to the SCONS build configuration an hour ago, effectively changing the default build behavior such that SCONS completely empties the contents of the install directory prior to commencing the build.

Since I used to keep all of my working files in subdirectories of that same folder, I just lost several hundred gigabytes of working files when running a rebuild. Sadly for me, my backup drive was destroyed by a lightning induced power surge less than a day ago, so I feel like just curling up in a sobbing heap on the floor right now. I'll be able to retrieve some of the stuff from older backups, but everything from the last year is gone forever.

This is a really significant change to have made to the default build behavior, and I'd strongly advise the dev team to consider setting the default to NOT clear the install destination unless the developer explicitly chooses to do so.

This is not a rant. I'm not angry. I'm well aware of the risks associated with using the bleeding edge code for production work. It was only due to an unfortunate sequence of closely spaced events that my work has been lost. Thanks for the amazing work on 2.5 guys - it's really looking and feeling outstanding!

I'm going to go and find a bottle of whiskey now and drown my dismay.

stiv

Postby stiv » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:35 pm

That's tragic. You have my complete sympathy.

I hesitate to reply to this for fear of adding insult to injury, but I do take issue with this:
It was only due to an unfortunate sequence of closely spaced events that my work has been lost.

Using bleeding edge software is a manageable risk. (The Durian Project is doing it, for example). But working inside the build system is a bad, bad idea - an accident waiting to happen. It is not uncommon for a build system to completely clean out its working directories in order to get a pristine copy. That was the motivation behind this change.

Again, my condolences.

nobulart

Postby nobulart » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:34 pm

Thank you for taking the time to express your concern stiv. It really does help!

Fortunately it was all completed work which has been lost, as the blender resources for my currently project are sitting elsewhere. A clean slate provides a lot of fresh perspectives on ways in which my working methods can be improved.

Return to “Testing Builds”