Wish List (it had to be done)

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Ian_Christie

Postby Ian_Christie » Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:28 am

Thanks ilac, I understand now :) The tutorials never explained it properly :)

Jedimaster9508

Postby Jedimaster9508 » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:47 pm

My wishlist: (some of this may have already been mentioned. i know some of it has.)
-automatic reflection/refraction
-actors w/the mesh as the shape (right now you can only use spheres as the shape)
-a choose alpha color box (for the textures AND the sequence editor)
-as always a better undo function
-compatibility w/windows XP (Blender works really crappy on XP for me)
-the ability to use curves and partical systems in games
-detection of mouse movement AND direction
-fluid, air, and light engines (something to make them react like they do in real life)

I think that's it. :wink:

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:56 pm

Actually, 90% of your wishlist has already been mentioned, except for the actor mesh thingy and XP compatibility (it does need to be improved, there are some issues with it [not bugs, just issues] that can be solved in other ways rather than buying a GeforceFX or an ATI 9800 :P)

Keep on posting feature requests everyone :D

SpiffGQ

Postby SpiffGQ » Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:32 pm

Most of the items in my list have already been mentioned, but I’m going to add my vote here. These items are in order of importance from most to least.

1. Polygons with an arbitrary number of vertices.
  2. Integrated mesh bevel tool (called chamfer in max and edge smooth in Lightwave).
  3. Integrated stencil tool.
  4. Integrated knife tool.
  5. Better line-editing widgets (those number entry widgets)
  6. Improved Booleans.

If there is some way to do any of the above currently, please let me know (perhaps I’ve overlooked it). I would really like to hear from some of the developers on which items of my list and the others posted above are being implemented now or in the near future.

If I’m not mistaken, Blender relies heavily on OpenGL for interface rendering. OpenGL has support for polygons of an arbitrary number of vertices, so I don’t think the first item in my list will be difficult at all to implement (Wings does it just fine).

There are many methods used to manually bevel meshes, but an integrated tool would be nice. I suppose I could script it in Python (it is scripted in Lightwave), but it seems that such an important tool would have already been scripted. Since it has not, it leads me to believe that it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to script a mesh-beveling tool.

Overall, I am very pleased with Blender. Once I started to used Blender, I’ve found it to be (in most ways) much more powerful than Lightwave, mostly because Blender is faster and more integrated than Lightwave. I can work on a mesh, texture it, and render it in the same application; I don’t have to use that annoying "hub" program and switch between the modeler program and the layout program. Thanks to all developers working hard to improve Blender.

Waffler

Postby Waffler » Sat May 17, 2003 1:15 am

I hate adding to a forum topic after it already had so many posts -- I never know if I am repeating something somebody already said -- but there are a couple of things that I could wish for.

Armature, Vertex Groups, and Animation Available to Python
I have started a project last summer where I need this information, and I have been waiting ever since. I wrote an exporter to send mesh information out to my own custom file format, where it later could be imported in a C++ program to be used with OpenGL. I wanted to expand the project to be able to export deformable meshes and animation.

This function would also be good for such things as script generated animation (tree branches or grass waving in the wind, automatic wavy or floppy movement when object moves, etc.)

Normal Extrude
I just thought it might be neat if you could extrude faces in the direction of thier normals. There may be some good uses for such a function ... but I cannot think of many at the moment.

Normal Scaling
While we're at it, why not ad the ability to scale vertices out in the direction of their normals. This would make it possable to make meshes a little more puffy, by making everything fatter.

2D Rendering Options
I was working on a small 2D animation, and I thought that it would be nice if the rendering was faster, since no 3D calculations would be necissary. Also, maybe if there was a way to shadow all the peices evenly -- using layers of 2D shapes in 3D space generates shadows hinting at their differing depths. I don't know.

Animation Scenes Controls
I don't know if there is something like this already. I remember seeing something about 'Scenes' in the interface, but I couldn't figure out how to use it. Anyhow, maybe if an animation could have difforent scenes, where characters, objects, lighting, etc. could all be difforent. Obviously the scenes should be able to share meshes still though. The scenes could have a transition option, where when the animation is rendered the scene could switch instantly, fade, or scroll into the next scene.

Oh well, I guess this is all I could think of at the moment. I would like to quickly say that I LOVE the new armatures option, where it automatically generates vertex groups based on nearest armature. It produces results five-hundred times better than anything I could do manually, and it's so much faster!

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Sat May 17, 2003 4:58 am

Here's a couple of work arounds:

Waffler wrote:Normal Scaling
While we're at it, why not ad the ability to scale vertices out in the direction of their normals. This would make it possable to make meshes a little more puffy, by making everything fatter.

Use ALT-S in editmode. Yep, it's pretty obscure, as always with Blender... :/

Waffler wrote:2D Rendering Options
I was working on a small 2D animation, and I thought that it would be nice if the rendering was faster, since no 3D calculations would be necissary. Also, maybe if there was a way to shadow all the peices evenly -- using layers of 2D shapes in 3D space generates shadows hinting at their differing depths. I don't know.

I think you can acheive the shadowing effects you're after if you use 'layer' lamps. Turning on the 'layer' button in lampbuttons makes the lamp only affect objects on its layer. That way you can set up different lamps for different objects.

Return to “Interface & Tools”