Extruding around cursor?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Twinfun

Extruding around cursor?

Postby Twinfun » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:18 am

How? I wish I can better explain what I mean, but in my situation, I'm trying to extrude the top of a cylinder that is mirrored over the X axis in which they will meet on the X axis to make an arch. After watching a video of this being done, he was able to extrude it manually without using that spin button.

The best way I can explain what I saw him do on screen was have his 2 cylinders setup on each side of the X axis due to a mirror modifier. On the live cylinder, viewing it from the front, with the top face of the cylinder selected, he would press a hotkey in which it will extrude around the location of his cursor, in which was directly on the X axis, aligned with the top of the cylinder. He manually extruded until a perfect arch was created. The resulting cap of the extrusion was automatically rotated proportionate to how far he extruded and the location of the cursor.

If anybody has the Blender Foundations Creature Factory, the action I am referring to is located in "Modeling head and body base mesh" at 1:20.

I know this explanation sucks, but if you guys need the footage, let me know. I'll just record the lightning fast 3-5 seconds of his unclear actions...

psullie

Postby psullie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 am

Did he use R (rotate) followed by Y (constrain to Y axis) after each extruded?

Nikprodanov

Postby Nikprodanov » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:58 am

Perhaps they set the Pivot Point to be the 3D Cursor?

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:M ... vot_Points

Twinfun

Postby Twinfun » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:08 am

psullie wrote:Did he use R (rotate) followed by Y (constrain to Y axis) after each extruded?

Nope, when he extruded, the rotation was done for him according to the distance of extrusion and distance from the cursor.

Nik: I'll look through it when I get the chance.

Twinfun

Postby Twinfun » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:56 am

Nikprodanov wrote:Perhaps they set the Pivot Point to be the 3D Cursor?

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:M ... vot_Points

Awesome! That covered what I need to know!

Return to “Interface & Tools”