Armature python wrappers

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Bandoler

Armature python wrappers

Postby Bandoler » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:29 pm

Hello,

I've started to play with Blender CVS code and have added preeliminary support to access Armature objects from the Python interface. Right now, it is possible to find the armature objects by name, and to access its bones (name, head and tail, only right now). The idea would be to make it accessible at least for reading, so the great skinned models can be exported to other formats, like native engines format.
Questions:
- Should i work in another branch of the CVS other than the main?
- What mailing list should i be listening to, for this kind of development? is it bf-commiters?
- Could someone provide a simple textured model with two animations or so to go on with he tests? I've been unable to find a blend file like this in these web pages.

I would like to go on with this, but i don't know if in short term i'll have time for it, so i don't want to sound very reliable :)

(bandoler)

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Re: Armature python wrappers

Postby Michel » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:07 pm

Bandoler wrote:Hello,
I've started to play with Blender CVS code and have added preeliminary support to access Armature objects from the Python interface.

Great! There are more people thinking about this, but it's good to see someone's taken the challenge 8)

Bandoler wrote:Right now, it is possible to find the armature objects by name, and to access its bones (name, head and tail, only right now). The idea would be to make it accessible at least for reading, so the great skinned models can be exported to other formats, like native engines format.
Questions:
- Should i work in another branch of the CVS other than the main?

Nope, the bf CVS tree is the best tree to work on for this particular feature. I'll explain more down below...

Bandoler wrote: - What mailing list should i be listening to, for this kind of development? is it bf-commiters?

Yes, you should talk about this on bf-committers. Even though I read this forum almost every day, I suspect not all developers do this.

Well, as far as the new api addition, I hope you have looked at the new exppython stuff that we're working on. I hadn't planned on implementing any new Python-modules before the new implementation is at the same level as the current implementation.
Eventually, the current implementation will be obsolete. I'm talking about the sources that reside in:
- intern/python
- source/bpython

The new implementation is taking place in:
- source/python

I hope to see something from you on the mailing list :)

Great work!
Michel

shagwana

Postby shagwana » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:34 pm

Now this is great news and I hope you pull it off!. Dont forget to put in the vertex information thats linked to bones! :wink:

I for one am very intrested in coding an export path from Blender to blitz3d ( www.blitzbasic.com - a 3d games coding language ).

Panther

Postby Panther » Mon May 19, 2003 8:38 pm

Hi Bandoler,

I know this is a slightly off-topic, but...

Are you working on a NeoEngine export script for Blender ???

If so, do you have a version for willing candidates to use ???

I would be more than happy to do some testing for you :D

Return to “Python”