Interest in HDF5?

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

darenw

Interest in HDF5?

Postby darenw » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:22 am

I just noticed Blender has no means of importing HDF5 data. HDF5 can be used to store data as meshes, or other data that could be used in some way, from scientific experiments and simulations. Is there interest in having some sort of import for this? I'm thinking of writing one; requests from others will motivate me to do it sooner and in a better way.
DSW

pep

Postby pep » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:40 am

Sure !
I've been waiting for others but, even if we are the only two people interested, i promise to bother you (motivate :wink: ) until you finish the importer.

Why? before your post i didn't even know of HDF5 but then i peek from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDF5 and now i know that
"HDF5 works well for Time series data such as stock price series, network monitoring data, and 3D meteorological data".

In our University we have a small cluster for meteorological research and i can make wild fantasies about using their datas... and the possibilities the importer opens for simple, plain aesthetic use of large series of data.
Please go on

darenw

Postby darenw » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:31 am

Okay, pep, I'm going to have a go at it!

My interest was in working with some Shoemaker-Levy 9 impact simulations. Our simulator put out HDF4, which is a big boatload of complexity. We converted that to HDF5 then used VTK and other tools, and homebrew code, python+numpy etc to make isosurfaces, vector fields and so on, stored also in HDF5 sometimes but usually rendered and forgotten. Fun stuff, but now I'm looking more at spacecraft imaging (Kepler, Spitzer, Cassini, etc) and electromagnetic field simulations.

HDF5 isn't a file format so much as a storage container with many ways to plop data into it. I hope to make a reader so flexible that it can handle most real world cases.

I already have a python extension written in C++ to read/write HDF5, although rather specialized to our in-house work. Useless as-is, but a start.

(And I should check on my forum posts more often...)
DSW

MonZop

Postby MonZop » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:29 pm

Please Darenw,
go ahead with your importer!! Did you see this?

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1628215

I was recently at two meetings on visualization/animation in biology (in San Francisco and in Heidelberg), and it seems that people are getting interested in considering animation as a serious scientific topic. Using Blender, of course (well, maybe not everyone.., Not yet, at least! :-) )

monica

MonZop

Postby MonZop » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi

Any news on the HD5 importer?

monica

Return to “Academic & Research”