'Toon Edge' number button on the left side of the
edit buttons.

Here is a windows binary:
http://bebop.cns.ualberta.ca/~cwant/too ... n-enji.zip

and here is a demo blend:
http://bebop.cns.ualberta.ca/~cwant/too ... i-demo.zip
http://bebop.cns.ualberta.ca/~cwant/too ... n-enji.jpg
http://bebop.cns.ualberta.ca/~cwant/too ... -enji2.jpg
(my apologies to Reevan for defacing his work).

Regards,
Chris
Last edited by Hos on Tue May 20, 2003 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pooba

Postby Pooba » Tue May 20, 2003 2:16 am

Cool, but the ode engine seems to not work. DId you take it out of this demo?

Will the toon shading work in the ODE engine?

I'm kinda wondering what the difference between ODE and Enji. Enji seems to load a lot faster. What is the difference?

Pooba

Hos

Postby Hos » Tue May 20, 2003 3:18 am

Pooba wrote:Cool, but the ode engine seems to not work. DId you take it out of this demo?

Will the toon shading work in the ODE engine?

I'm kinda wondering what the difference between ODE and Enji. Enji seems to load a lot faster. What is the difference?

Pooba

I didn't bother compiling ode into this demo
(sorry, I should have... but it doesn't compile
in by default).

Enji is the old blender game engine. It has less
features, but it's pretty speedy. It uses
the blender objects directly so a hack like this
was fairly easy (after implementing the edge
stuff in blender it only took about 4 lines
of code to get it working in enji),
whereas in the ketsji/ode engine
you have to convert your blender objects to
something else first. I have no plans to
make this kind of rendering work in the ketsji
engine (I looked at it, but there is too much of
a learning curve).

Chris

kflich

YeaH !!! now thats what im talking about !!!

Postby kflich » Tue May 20, 2003 6:38 pm

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !!! absulotly freaking awsome !!! Hos, this is the greatest improovment to the game engine since ... well, the last improovment. iv'e been waiting for a toon render for months. i only have a few questions :

1) What is smooth toon ?

2) Why can't i render toon with textures ? since it isn't sensitive to light, i can still fake toon shade with a texture and use the outline to complete the cartoonish look. else, a mesh duplicate is still needed to create a more advanced look.

3) Why are there no planes to support this feature in enji ? when SOLID physics will be released the game engine will be fully functional again (and totaly free), it will be a shame to loose this great feature ... i think i'll cry if i finally have a working game engine and a toon rendering but no way to combine the two ...

Anyway, toon rendering can help create good games with lower polycount (since less detail is needed in such style) and it is gaining more pupolarity those days (like zelda windwaker and jet set radio). I can say, that even though my financial status is a bit unclear right now, if you will still be interested, in a few months when the game engine will be fully functional (and will be able to create .exe files) i would be more than happy to pay a hafty sum (name a price you think is worthy) for a proper integration of toon rendering in blender. i see it as an investment since my project for a future game dependes heavily on this feature. and i'm serious. really, really.

So i hope you wont abandon this line of work, and thanks a million for giving us hope of a better future for blender games.

:D Koby.

gorgan_almighty

Postby gorgan_almighty » Fri May 23, 2003 3:44 pm

That sounds really great!! :) Trouble is that the enji engine is pretty useless for anything but very simple games, cos it doesn't have python support. Would it be possible to get enji to support python? That would be useful.

Keith. 8)

Hiachi

Postby Hiachi » Tue May 27, 2003 4:36 am

this most likely has been touched, but only games that have logicbricks seem to run when i press P, and i cant add any logicbricks, so i just import files made with the other versions....

also, i dloaded the demo, made an object have the same mesh and material settings....still cant figure out how to make my own objects toon shaded in the game

Hos

Postby Hos » Tue May 27, 2003 12:39 pm

Hiachi wrote:this most likely has been touched, but only games that have logicbricks seem to run when i press P, and i cant add any logicbricks, so i just import files made with the other versions....

Make sure that in the World button the physics is set to 'Enji'.

Hiachi wrote:also, i dloaded the demo, made an object have the same mesh and material settings....still cant figure out how to make my own objects toon shaded in the game

In the edit buttons there is a pulldown for drawtype of the object
(usually set to "Shaded") ... there are (currently) 5 different settings for
Toon styles in there.

Chris

Return to “Interactive 3d”