Use of biofeedback

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

mpkerkho

Use of biofeedback

Postby mpkerkho » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Hello,

For my master thesis, I am using biofeedback (galvanic skin response and heart rate). I want to visualize this data but I don't know where to start since I have nog programming experience. I am learning everything right know but maybe I can ask for good suggestions here :)

My idea was to have a 3D heart beating with real time data. But now I think I will start with just display of numbers. Can someone tell me what I need to research to establish that? It should be used in a virtual environment (maybe NeuroVR if that is possible).

I was first thinking about doing everything in Blender but don't know it that is possible? I am currently reading about OpenSceneGraph and it seems to be very usefull to.

Thank you for any response!

michaelpadilla

Postby michaelpadilla » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi There (!)

You can make a small script in python that call for different IPO animations, when different values are received from the bio-feedback.
The way to obtain the valued from the bio-feedback can vay depending on your hardware, but tell us a little more about your equipment and maybe we can offer you a more specific advice.

Michael Padilla Mora
Neuroscience Research Program
University of Costa Rica

mpkerkho

Postby mpkerkho » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:24 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the response!
I am using a TMSi Refa 32 system at my University. The hardware should be the same as Nexus systems wich are more known I think?

I am using this to measure skin conductance and heart rate and use these as anxiety parameters. I would also like to use EEG but first I want to get the simple biosignals going :)

I was looking at Openvibe at the moment and use this to capture my signals.

On a side note, can you tell me about good literature about galvanic skin conductance (how it is done, where do you need to place the electrodes, what does the signal I get mean exactly, etc...) since I can't seem to find any good sources. My promotor hasn't got any info on that topic either.

Thank you

domejunky

Postby domejunky » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:48 pm

Hello

We have a Nexus system, and we have students who have created projects using it and Blender.

'Loose coupling' can be your friend here - if you can get you data being fed into OSC, then it's pretty trivial to consume that in Blender. Having said that I just looked at the the OpenVIBE and TMSI sites, and don't see any reference to OSC. If your on Linux(and Mac OS X I think) you could look at the COMEDI project - I've used this with other acquisition boards.

Have a look at the presence community for literature.

http://sct.temple.edu/blogs/ispr/

http://www.peachbit.org/

I work a lot with OpenSceneGraph too. It's not a RAD platform like Blender Game Engine - you're C++ needs to be up to scratch. Panda3D is a nice middle ground...

Pete

MonZop

Postby MonZop » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi,
this may help: last year at the Bledner Conference Marco Rapino presented a system that connected directly in real time heart and skin conductance recording to Blender.
He actually developed a game used for anxiety self control.

Unfortunately I just checked and the links for last year conference seem broken, but if you can find Marco (who is working in Finland or Norway or around there) I am sure he will help.

ciao

pep

Postby pep » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Marco Rapino, known as Akta, can be reached trough his blog

http://www.aktasway.com/blog/who-is-akta/

Return to “Academic & Research”