Blender 2.55 bugs ? - Random Crashing and file browsing

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Naphier

Blender 2.55 bugs ? - Random Crashing and file browsing

Postby Naphier » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:20 pm

Hello. I'm not able to find any reports on this yet so am starting a new thread. Hopefully this is the correct place.

I'm using the Blender 2.55 beta 64-bit version under Windows 7 professional.
It randomly crashes and I'm not able to get a reason from the command console window before Win7 terminates the program. Is there a way to get a log of this to you guys?

On a second note, whenever I'm trying to save, open, or browse directories in Blender's file browser I cannot double click on a directory to enter it. I am using "right-click to select" as a user preference, but this problem persists when reverting to Blender's default "left-click to select". However I can manually type the directory name in the file browser bar and enter directories that way. I also cannot select a file in the file browser window via left or right click. However I can select a file (or set of files) by clicking and dragging a box selector around them.

Another issue I am encountering is the N-key properties panel sometimes has overlapping dialogs. This fixes itself on a reboot of Blender.

Apparently no one else is having this issue as I've not yet seen a bug report on it and I figure this would bug users.

My system specs are as follows:
Windows 7 64-bit professional
AMD Phenom II 1090t x6 (I do have turbo and all cores enabled - I've tried switching off turbo and both problems still persist)
Dual ATI Radeon 5830 PCIe cards in CrossFire mode (dual screens too)
16GB RAM
slow Seagate SATA II hdd

Let me know if there is other information I might supply to assist.

Naphier

Postby Naphier » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:51 pm

A little more info on the crashing.
I've narrowed it down somewhat.
The crashes seem to occur most frequently when I'm altering user preferences.
Also I've noticed that the crashes occurring randomly while simply paning or moving around in perspective view. I get the message:
"WM: failed to allocate texture for triple buffer drawing (glGenTextures)."
I'm not using any special textures and am only seeing the default gray render on the object faces.
Hope this helps debug. I'm going to give 2.55 beta another day or so, going to a stable build.

stiv

Postby stiv » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:38 pm

"WM: failed to allocate texture for triple buffer drawing (glGenTextures)."

Graphics card/driver issues. Try changing the OpenGL settings on the System tab of User Prefs. Specifically the Window Draw Method.

Naphier

Postby Naphier » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks, stiv, but that didn't work. I tried a few modes then finally last night my ATI driver started to randomly crash. I'm thinking the problems were with the ATI catalyst driver which has now been updated as well as I have upgraded to blender 2.56. All of the above issues seem to have gone so far.

blendasauras

Random Crashes in 2.56a

Postby blendasauras » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:03 pm

I'm also having crashes. Its unusable. I am animating a cube with a video mapped to the faces. At first I thought it was due to the size of the video, so I made a proxy at lower rez, and its only about 2 MB. But I still get the crashes, usually when I'm creating a new key frame. It just crashes, no error message, no warning.

this is on Windows XP, 4 GB RAM.

Naphier

Postby Naphier » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:56 pm

2.56 has thankfully been stable for me. I've locked it up a couple of times doing hi-res animations, but it was an intermittent issue. The 2.56 is much much more stable.

blendasauras

Postby blendasauras » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:39 pm

Naphier wrote:2.56 has thankfully been stable for me. I've locked it up a couple of times doing hi-res animations, but it was an intermittent issue. The 2.56 is much much more stable.

I wish this were true for me. I really do like the interface a lot better, but its beginning to look like a retreat back to 2.49, at least until another version is released.

:<)

Return to “Testing Builds”