Cygwin/GCC -- Does it compile/configure?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

MrMunkily

Cygwin/GCC -- Does it compile/configure?

Postby MrMunkily » Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:22 pm

Since many of us wanna be's have a win32 platform and can't get our hands on VC++ or anything like that, can blender yet be compiled in Cygwin/GCC? if so, will the new autoconfiscated tarball work? I'd give it a shot myslef but I'm far from a suitable 'experimental' box...

btw, how long does it take to compile?
20 min?
4 hr?

protoplazm

Postby protoplazm » Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:14 am

hi,

i'm working on getting the thing to compile under mingw32 (dev-c++, actually). one issue is that blender requires a bunch of third party libs (read nikolatesla20's notes on compiling under MSVC) that need to be installed/built from source first (OpenAL, fmod, libjpeg, ode, zlib, pythoncore, openssl.) also, at my current understanding, it looks like all the makefiles in the source tree are designed to run with the microsoft compiler and their NMAKE program. this _might_ mean a re-write of some kind so that the makefiles work with GNU make and GCC. i'll see how far i get... :shock:

peace

MrMunkily

Postby MrMunkily » Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:24 am

how close would the current linux makefiles be to the neccesary gnu makefiles that would be needed?

H_xNaN

Postby H_xNaN » Sat Oct 19, 2002 6:36 pm

protoplazm wrote:also, at my current understanding, it looks like all the makefiles in the source tree are designed to run with the microsoft compiler and their NMAKE program. this _might_ mean a re-write of some kind so that the makefiles work with GNU make and GCC. i'll see how far i get...

No. We use gmake under Cygwin, but with the visual command line compiler. See Franks cygwrapper in tools/

Return to “News & Chat”