Rendering quicktime (.mov file) in blender 2.56

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

lexi030474

Rendering quicktime (.mov file) in blender 2.56

Postby lexi030474 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi everybody,

I have been trying to render for the last couple of days a short test animation as a Quicktime file (I tried all codecs available) in blender 2.56 only to witness how the application crashes every single time that I have tried. I am working on a PC in Windows 7 Pro 32 bit.

Any suggestions??

Atom

Postby Atom » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:05 pm

I have not had good luck with Blender and Quicktime on windows. So if you just want to get your work done. Try rendering to a frame sequence then have VirtualDUB or After Effects (if you have it) process the frame sequence into a movie file.
Windows XP 64 SP2
3GB RAM
Python 2.62 (32bit)
Python 3.11 (64 bit)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express
Windows SDK v7.0
MinGW
SlikSVN

lexi030474

Postby lexi030474 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Atom wrote:I have not had good luck with Blender and Quicktime on windows. So if you just want to get your work done. Try rendering to a frame sequence then have VirtualDUB or After Effects (if you have it) process the frame sequence into a movie file.

I am very thankful for this suggestion. It coincides with a previous one that I got via email. This email said as follows:

"Most people render as separate frames, then use the Blender sequencer, Blender video editor or other video editor to covert that to their final movie format."

It worked perfectly good I muss say. I got my .mov file from Blender, from its Video Editor.

eganscentsy4u

after effects tip

Postby eganscentsy4u » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:17 pm

I have after effects and this is a great solution. You can use after effects as a rendering engine. I like to use MP4 h264 as my codec and I think you can use this codec with quicktime as the wrapper. When you are in the render queue in AE click on the video settings tab to make the changes. Be careful because some of the stock codecs can make your video or animation files huge so take a close look at all of the video settings and you may want to tweak the audio settings as well to get the best quality and size.

Good Luck
kara

Return to “Rendering”