Exporting from Blender 2.57 to inport in Vizard 3.0

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Apostolos

Exporting from Blender 2.57 to inport in Vizard 3.0

Postby Apostolos » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:05 am

Hi everyone!

I am a new user of Blender and I have serious troubles when trying to import exported blend files to Vizard.

The format that I want to export from blender is
osg

The problem is that so far I have not found some way to export in osg from blender 2.57 but instead only through blender 2.49 !
More precisely, I am designing a 3d model with blender 2.57 and then open it with 2.49. If that works then I export it in osg and use it within Vizard without problems. However that is not always the case.
When I try to open the 2.57 blend file with 2.49 the following message appears:

" You have opened a 250 file, key information will get lost, like animation data. Continue?
OK?"

When I press OK , the blender 2.49 crashes without opening anything. Although the same does not happen always! Some times works with some more simple models...

Does anyone know:

1) if there is a better format from 2.57 that works also in Vizard so that all textures remain. (The method of texturing I have used is UV mapping)

or

2)if there is a way to export to osg from blender 2.57

or

3) if there is any other solution?

Any help will be appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Apostolos

stiv

Postby stiv » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:41 am

It looks like Vizard uses OSG as its native format. Unfortunately, I do not see an OSG exporter in the Add-ons for Blender 2.58 (under User Prefs). Blender 2.58 has a new scripting interface (API) and old scripts like the OSG exporter need to be ported to the new format. Anyone looking for a project? Or looking to hire a programmer?

Blender .blend files should be forward/backward compatible, although you *will* lose information going from 2.58 to 2.49. It should not crash though. Might be worth a bug report!

Blender can import/export a number of common file types. I am not familiar with Vizard to know what it might accept.

Apostolos

Postby Apostolos » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Thank you very much for your response!

It looks like there is no direct solution for my problem :(
However, I wanted to ask if u know what type information is about to get lost when I open it with 2.49?
Maybe that could be the reason of crashing and if I exclude that info then maybe everything works fine. I am saying so because the process I described works fine when I apply UV textures on a simple cube. Is it possible that the complexity of the model makes the difference?

Thanks!

Apostolos

stiv

Postby stiv » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:21 am

However, I wanted to ask if u know what type information is about to get lost when I open it with 2.49?

Right off hand, I do not know. Any new 2.5x features certainly, and probably some things that have changed (particles?). 2.49 *should* open the file without crashing. I would encourage you to file a bug report if you can, maybe with a simple example that shows the problem.

Here is a link to the bug tracker

Apostolos

Postby Apostolos » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:55 am

i think you gave me the answer I needed! :D

The whole problem may appears because accidentally I have included a modifier for "smoke particles" . (I was just curious to see how it works but I didnt really needed for my model). However , later I tried to remove it and I couldn't. (I pressed space>remove modifier but didn't work!)
Although, the appearance of my model didn't change, so I didn't care much about it and I left it like that. (As I said at the beginning I am new with blender and I don't know much...)

If that is the problem then I think I don't have to report a bug.

Just a last thing for blender 2.57... do you maybe know how to remove such modifiers?
From the "outliner" and from the "space" menu I couldn't do it. Is there any other way to do it?
Thanks a lot for your help!

Apostolos

Apostolos

Postby Apostolos » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:42 am

Yeah! that was the problem! :D

I have been able to open it after removing all smoke and particle modifiers.
That was the reason of crashing. There is no bug....the problem is the new features of blnder 2.57 when opening it with 2.49.

Thank you very much for your advise.

Apostolos

Return to “Academic & Research”