Texture mapping for fast draft renders

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

shish

Texture mapping for fast draft renders

Postby shish » Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:40 pm

At my current skill level I don't need / can't make full use of raytracing, and on my slow box (500MHz) it takes hours to render animations - I'd be happy if my animations were the same graphical quality as eg quake 3.

So...
Q3 max-detail texture mapping = 25-50FPS, ok quality
Blender's raytracing = 0.05FPS, great quality

I for one would be willing to lose a bit of quality in my draft work for a 500-1000x increase in rendering speed, what's the possibility of it happening?

PRE-ED> I *know* I can do a 120x100 render with all the settings on lowest, but that's *still* slower than 1024x768 quake on highest, and much lower quality...

Jamesk

Postby Jamesk » Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:00 pm

You CAN make OpenGL preview animation renders (even textured if you're using the 'texface' option in the materials) by SHIFT-clicking that little renderbutton far to the right in the toolbar of a 3D-viewport window (the button looks just like the bigger render-window-button)... You don't get 25 fps, but its very much faster than standard rendering - and results in, well... draft quality.

ray_theray

Postby ray_theray » Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:37 pm

Take JamesK's advice, this usually gives acceptable draft quality. And a clarification - Blender does not do any raytracing of any sort. It is a scanline renderer (e.g., it uses shadow mapping instead of raytraced shadows, reflections/refractions are faked with environment maps, etc.)
-ray_theray

shish

Postby shish » Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:15 pm

ray_theray wrote:Blender does not do any raytracing of any sort. It is a scanline renderer

Mmmm..... technical.... I'm a programmer primarily, what's the difference? Wikipedia makes it sound like raytracing without polygons ???

ED> If anyone's interested I googled and found an answer - http://www.3dgate.com/techniques/000424 ... ring1.html

I still don't /quite/ get it though - scanline looks at each pixel and calculates it's colour in an unspecified way, raytracing sends a "laser" through each pixel, the laser bounces about until it hits a light or the edge of the scene, and uses that to calculate the color of the pixel... hmmm... so scanline calculates the pixel color without using any polygons or tracing any rays, eh?

On-topic, thanks for the shift-render tip

Jamesk

Postby Jamesk » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:40 pm

I wrote:You CAN make OpenGL preview animation renders (even textured if you're using the 'texface' option in the materials)

I just want to correct myself, for the record: Texface in the material isn't necessary - it should be quite enough to UV-map, assign a texture to faces with the imagewindow and switch to potatomode - it works either way with or without 'texface' toggled.

I wrote:You don't get 25 fps, but its very much faster than standard rendering

And I correct myself again:: as long as there's not a huge load of very large textures, you might very well be able to render 25 fps or faster.

Return to “Rendering”