How to add more animations to the same model?

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

snowconesolid

How to add more animations to the same model?

Postby snowconesolid » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:36 pm

Hello everyone. I am currently learning game development with the Unity engine and am using blender as my modeling tool.

I know how to animate and rig, but im not sure how to add more animations to the same model.
so for example I am working on a game character, so Im going to need various animations for that same 3d character model but all in the same file.
I would need an Idle animation for when the player is not moving, I need a running animation so the run cycle animation would play when the user moves, an attack animation, etc.

I know how to make these animations separately, I normally rig my model and then save it. then I make the idle animation and save it. then I go back and open up the rigged version and make a run animation and save that separately, etc.

How would I make all these animations as separate animations but all in the same file?

SirDude

Postby SirDude » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:04 pm

The simplest solution would be just make frame blocks for each animation.

frames 1-60 are walk cycle
frames 60-120 are run

Just open up a text document and note whats what so you can keep it
straight.

snowconesolid

Postby snowconesolid » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:19 pm

SirDude wrote:The simplest solution would be just make frame blocks for each animation.

frames 1-60 are walk cycle
frames 60-120 are run

Just open up a text document and note whats what so you can keep it
straight.

Yes very good. I was thinking the same thing, but then I thought "I would have to split the animations in unity"
It turns out its really simple to split animations in unity, so this technique works great. Just as long as you keep track of your frames.
Thanks a lot.

SirDude

Postby SirDude » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:45 pm

With blender you can also set start and end frame so you could just do the
seperate renderings with blender.
If you haven't you should check out scene's in blender and learn how they
work.

AussieConvict

Postby AussieConvict » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:28 pm

The only issue I see / have with having to split the animations up in Unity, is what if I want to easily test the loop in Blender?
I've found that clicking on the X (splitting up the animations / data blocks) is easier, and then you can let code in Unity use the names.

Solomon

Postby Solomon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:04 pm

AussieConvict wrote:The only issue I see / have with having to split the animations up in Unity, is what if I want to easily test the loop in Blender?
I've found that clicking on the X (splitting up the animations / data blocks) is easier, and then you can let code in Unity use the names.

Kind of late for a reply, but if you click the little clock symbol in the timeline window toolbar (it's next to the "playback" menu for me), you can then use the "s" and "e" keys in the timeline to select new (temporary) start and end points in case you don't want to watch the whole animation loop. So, you can separate out just frames 2,440 through 2,500 until you get that nose-blowing animation just perfect :) Very helpful.

Technolithic

Postby Technolithic » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:48 pm

I've been trying to figure out how to create new animations for a couple of days now and I finally found this forum link, but I'm ultimately disappointed to discover what I'm reading in this thread...

I was thinking all along that the action editor provided functionality to create actions, which would be a set of keyframes composing an animation sequence, but upon using the action editor, making keyframes, and getting my first animation for the model, I arrive at the decision to begin making another animation for the same model to discover I have another problem. I originally understood that each action defined in the action editor defined a separate series of animation frames developed in a new timeline for that action, but it appears that the timeline merely represents aggregate time, that is time for the entire project as if everything in the scene is a movie clip.

It's important to keep all the animations associated with the model contained in the same file. Is it possible to actually go about creating additional animations without the hackish feel of noting arbitrary keyframe counts for later use?

Technolithic

Postby Technolithic » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:16 am

I figured it out, after working through the tutorial on this URL:
http://www.darkscarab.com/resources/tutorials.php?id=74

Action editor is silly why the interface works the way it does. My experience seems pretty strange to me, but at least I can get multiple actions into a single blender file for Unity to understand.

Return to “Animation”