Multi Axis Driver for IPO

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bizdizzle

Multi Axis Driver for IPO

Postby bizdizzle » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:31 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to make a multi axis driver for gorgeous character deformations when rigging. I use this all the time in Maya and it's very powerful. I'm trying to build it in Blender but I'm running into an issue.

Lets say in Blender, I have a plane, an empty, and a single bone. I shrinkwrap the empty to the plane and add another constraint, copy loaction, to the empty from the tip of the bone. When I rotate the bone I get the empty sliding up and down the plane. This is all good so far. The problem I'm running into is that I can't see the actual local transformation numbers of the empty. I wanna use the values to drive shape keys for an object. For instance, on the shoulder of a character, I would set something like this up so that when the arm rotates up and down, left and right, I can get concrete numbers of where this arm is pointed in space. These numbers can in tern drive whether or not a shape key is fired or not. I can't use the rotations of the arm because of the problem of Gimbal rotation. Finding out how to get the local position of the empty is the last piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for your time.
-Carlos

Return to “Animation”