More info on Blender Game Engine

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

FrozenFox

More info on Blender Game Engine

Postby FrozenFox » Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:25 pm

I have a few question regarding Blender Game Engine :
( The 2.25 version - with the engine working)

1. If i want to sell my games - do i need separate FMOD license? Or the original Euro 100,000 already cover fmod engine license (which allow engine user to sell their creation without further fmod license)?

2. Does it load all sound/music file format that fmod load? Or only ogg and wav?

3) The Game Kit product, what is it real price? USD 34.99 or 39.99? Does it include shipping or not?

4) It is said that Blender can make first person shooter, it use portal or BSP?

5) Can it create multi level game? And keep track certain value (such as scores) across levels?

6) Bonus question : Will a 3D MAX look alike (or at least better GUI) implemented?

7) Now that I think the Solib lib problem is almost solved, does anybody have time line or mile stone that when will next blender with working game engine released?

Thanks!

Frozen Fox.

z3r0_d

Re: More info on Blender Game Engine

Postby z3r0_d » Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:34 pm

FrozenFox wrote:1. If i want to sell my games - do i need separate FMOD license? Or the original Euro 100,000 already cover fmod engine license (which allow engine user to sell their creation without further fmod license)?

You shouldn't need to
FrozenFox wrote:2. Does it load all sound/music file format that fmod load? Or only ogg and wav?

wav, preferably pcm, and ogg. Sometimes ogg doesn't work, and wav files can contain different forms of compression (such as mp3) that will not work on all systems (hence I reccomend pcm).
FrozenFox wrote:3) The Game Kit product, what is it real price? USD 34.99 or 39.99? Does it include shipping or not?

I doubt it includes shipping, but I am not the one to answer this one
FrozenFox wrote:4) It is said that Blender can make first person shooter, it use portal or BSP?

It can, but not one having multiplayer or very complex levels. Blender currently doesn't use portal, BSP, octree, distance, or any other (as far as I know) form of culling.
FrozenFox wrote:5) Can it create multi level game? And keep track certain value (such as scores) across levels?

Yes

You would have one scene for each level, and another for the ui (ammo meter, health meter...). The scene containing the user interface would keep track of the values, and would change the background scene (the level). Messages can be sent between scenes (that are running). (there is a add/remove background scene actuator)
FrozenFox wrote:6) Bonus question : Will a 3D MAX look alike (or at least better GUI) implemented?

I doubt there will be a Max clone ui, but a better one (for newbies) may come.
FrozenFox wrote:7) Now that I think the Solib lib problem is almost solved, does anybody have time line or mile stone that when will next blender with working game engine released?

The SOLID library was going to be avaliable in july (sometime), and has been confirmed to be avalible sometime in this year.

My guess is that if it is avaliable next month it will be usuable in august, with maybe a release in the fall. I don't think there will be new [game] features initially when it returns. I very much could be wrong, and usually just resort to waiting.

Sutabi

Postby Sutabi » Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:55 pm

It can, but not one having multiplayer or very complex levels. Blender currently doesn't use portal, BSP, octree, distance, or any other (as far as I know) form of culling.

Actrally Blender uses Spheretical Distance culling, meaning it draws scenes withing its diestance (hence is why its not that great), its not that great becuase it not only draws what infront of you it draws whats behind you (as a distance aspect) One of the things I've notice to does not stop it lighting calculations even if its not withing the distance, Also there can only be 8 lights per layer (least that was the comment in the source)

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:24 pm

-I dont think Blender has any kind of frustrum culling,sferical
or conical.It draw everything in the scene

Saluk

Postby Saluk » Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:54 am

Ben is correct, not even distance culling:)

Bummer, eh?

joeri

Postby joeri » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:34 pm

It depents on which of the game engine's you're talking about.
The prototype engine (the one in the iPac code) has conical culling.
The NaN one (written by expert game programmers) has nothing.

Return to “Interactive 3d”