Money_YaY!

How do you make a Runtime work for all OS comps

Postby Money_YaY! » Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:41 am

I have OSX how do I make a runtime for Windows and Linux. Plus
others
?

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:44 pm

You can't....unless you have a PEECEE with Linux/Windows ready.

cmccad

Postby cmccad » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:56 am

I'm not the best person to answer this, but I was under the impression that it was possible to compile for different platforms using one platform. I've never done it, but I remember reading somewhere that gcc at least has options for compiling binaries for other platforms. Does gcc run on OSX?

HTH,
Casey

Sutabi

Postby Sutabi » Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:36 am

For all the plateforms of gcc go here:
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html

also i looked in the 3.3 relase and saw a build on Mac OS 10.x

kAinStein

Postby kAinStein » Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:32 pm

cmccad wrote:I'm not the best person to answer this, but I was under the impression that it was possible to compile for different platforms using one platform. I've never done it, but I remember reading somewhere that gcc at least has options for compiling binaries for other platforms. Does gcc run on OSX?

HTH,
Casey

Yes, gcc can be used as a cross compiler for several platforms. Here is a FAQ to this topic: http://www.sthoward.com/CrossGCC/

But I think Money_YaY! means creating game runtimes for different platforms. This is only possible in saving the runtime with Blender for the specific platform (e.g. Linux Blender under Linux or Windows Blender under Win). Would be a nice feature to make it really "crossplatform", meaning using one Blender version to save the runtimes for several OS. AFAIK exporting a runtime is nothing more than combining the player with the .blend - so I can't see a reason why that shouldn't be possible. Doesn't seem to be a hard thing to code.

joeri

Postby joeri » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:30 pm

I'd like to add that a 1 exe (or whatever) game only makes sense if it's a 1 exe and not a 1 exe and a 2 dll and etc....

Otherwise it makes as much sense to have 1 .exe and 1 .rtb (runtimeblend)

kAinStein

Postby kAinStein » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:47 pm

joeri wrote:I'd like to add that a 1 exe (or whatever) game only makes sense if it's a 1 exe and not a 1 exe and a 2 dll and etc....

True, but it shouldn't be a problem to give libs for the specific system along with the executable. It is at least better than boot another OS and then export as a runtime and pack all needed together. Well, if you've got the other OS installed and want to have a runtime.

Otherwise it makes as much sense to have 1 .exe and 1 .rtb (runtimeblend)

Also true. I don't have a problem with multiple files for a runtime if I don't have to search all needed stuff by hand to create a distro.

I think there are some things to think about - because there's a big potential from my point of view. I wish I would have more time! *sighs*

Money_YaY!

Postby Money_YaY! » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:33 pm

rats .
Oh well. Thankyou anyhow. Back to asking pc users on the web.

Return to “Interactive 3d”