I long for 360 equidistant cylindrical equatorial projection

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

owntheweb

I long for 360 equidistant cylindrical equatorial projection

Postby owntheweb » Mon May 21, 2012 9:18 am

Credit: NASA / GSFC: NASA gave a special Science On a Sphere (SOS)® demonstration to HM Elizabeth II, Queen of England and her husband, HRH Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh, and other members of the Royal Family on Tuesday, May 8, 2007. There's a growing number of SOS installations throughout the world used to teach and inspire a wide range of audiences.

Howdy Blender Gurus,
The Space Foundation (www.SpaceFoundation.org) just received a generous donation and is going to install Science on a Sphere as part of a new science center. As a web developer/designer there I'm playing with the ECE format and attempting to create custom branded content, perhaps a nice disco ball to start (or maybe even a death star!).

Here's the exact type of final product I'm trying to create that is used by the SOS software, an equidistant cylindrical equatorial (ECE) projection:

Check out the animated video here, and here is what it looks like projected on a virtual globe. Ott Planetarium created this animation using Blender combined with Hugin panorama stitching software. My guess is that a wide angle camera was placed in the center of a UV sphere with a "tube" projected ECE image texture on the sphere and some text on a band in 3D space within the sphere. Perhaps the camera renders frames at multiple angles which then gets stitched together in Hugin, one set/frame at a time (ouch, but cool end result).

In my initial attempts to export full 360 degree panoramas from Blender, I found this post with some tips pointing to the need for added stitching softare. It looks like full 180 degree vertical rendering is not possible (max of 173 degrees mentioned from some other online source). I also read somewhere that panoramas are not equidistant.

Wouldn't it be amazingly awesome to be able to render these ECE images directly from Blender? You should help make this happen, for science! :wink:

Best regards,

Chris
Worlds to explore. Worlds to create.
Blog | Twitter

owntheweb

Postby owntheweb » Mon May 21, 2012 4:02 pm

Blog | Twitter

RonProctor

Postby RonProctor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi Chris,

Sorry I just discovered this thread. I'm the guy who made the earth example. Please feel free to contact me directly if you still need assistance with this.

Thanks!
Ron (ronproctor gmail com)

owntheweb

Postby owntheweb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:41 pm

Hello Ron!

No worries. I posted this a long time ago, before posting in other forums where we discussed and conquered. :D

All is well now with new datasets being created, some being contributed back to the Science On a Sphere community.

Fireworks dataset link
Latitude and Longitude dataset link

Your help was very helpful, elsewhere! :D

Best regards,

Chris

Blog | Twitter

owntheweb

Postby owntheweb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Here's my facility animation inspired by your animation:
http://vimeo.com/55890714

Blog | Twitter

RonProctor

Postby RonProctor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:09 am

That's right—I remember you contacting me via Vimeo, I think. I remember seeing the Northrop Grumman stuff. Very cool. I remember when I made my "hyperspace" effect I thought to myself, "there's no way this is going to look right." But is looked awesome on Clark Planetarium's sphere.

Please keep me in mind if you need a helper on a future project. I'm being laid off this week so I'll probably have some free time. :(

owntheweb

Postby owntheweb » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:42 am

Sorry to hear about the job transition. :/ I bet it was a great growing/portfolio experience though. Sharing science is AWESOME (and in your case cool looking for a showcase). :D

Sadly, SOS isn't included as part of my "day job" (I'm a web designer/developer by trade), so there isn't much revenue opportunity. This has been an after-hour adventure to help increase value of the non-profit I love. However, I'll pass on your information to our education team that has lots of ideas for projects if interested (and if there's something to invest resources for - will bring it up tomorrow).

I haven't seen your version of hyperspace yet, but would love to see it to compare. I was worried at first about "looking out" though a sphere as well. This kind of thing seemed to work alright though, surprisingly.

Blog | Twitter

Return to “Academic & Research”