Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Blend files and the Blender Workspace - question and issue

-chase-

Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:28 pm
Blender 2.63a x64
WinXP x64

HI-

I have a question - an issue and a comment concerning the Blender workspace and blend files.

Here is the sinerio - (it's makes for a better read with the senerio built up)

You've entered a competion - the Prize is $25,000 and a two year contract to work on James Camerons next major film.

They give you a .blend file for the competion. (i'm giving you one attatched)

Okay your ready for this - you've got Blender all set up your way, all plug-ins, scripts, the work space tailored the way you like it and want it.

You have your cup of coffee - hit the head - got your lucky cushion beneath you to keep your legs from falling a sleep sitting in the chair.
You are psyced for this!

You have the latest Blender v2.63a - you open it up.
You download the .blend file provide for you... such as this one:

Contest Blend file download it and extract it to your prefed place.
This is an actual .blend file from an actual competition btw..

Now open the .blend file and watch as POOOF!

Your workspace is completely gone - changed that is... to the last person that saved the file you opened.

Here comes the question: Why? And how do i prevent this from happening when I open .blend files?

At any rate you are still syced up - you go to change the workspace back to the way you want it/prefer it and ...

Now try and change your workspace back... I'll wait.

Can't do it can you. Some thing is missing when you do try.
And here in lies the issue. You can't change it back - or I couldn't figure out how.

Which brings me to my comment on .blend files and the workspace.

I noticed this before when attempting tutorials and you get the start files etc - the workspace goes from yours to whom ever saved the blend file and how they set up their Blender.

I know Blender.org has worked so hard at creating the new interface - the new Blender. So who raised their hand when the question was asked - "Who wants to keep the workspace changing everytime a .blend file opens up?"

Was it you? - Who ever it was - smack them in the head.... Hard!

If this is the plan - Why not offer up an option to save the workspace layout to the .blend file along with an option to save settings.

As well - offer the option to keep your local - prefered settings when opening the .blend file as well as render settings etc - and the option to quickly switch to your personal settings or at least default settings?

That seems logical to me. Hopefully to you to, as I really can't think of one application that if you open a native file it changes the entire workspace to the other persons preferences. Can you?

Does any Graphics program? Gimp? Adobe After Effects? Cinema 4D? Photoshop? Illustrator? How about an OS? Linux? Windows?

Then why have Blender do it? What is the thinking behind this and why isn't their an opt out of having everything reset to some one elses preferences?

Well - hopefully it has been thought of and I just don't know how which brings me full circle back to my origianal question:

How do I prevent my workspace and preferences from being changed or this senerio from happening when opening future .blend files?

I thank you for the audience and hope for an answer.

Bloggin Blog

Tehrasha

Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:33 am
-chase- wrote:

Your workspace is completely gone - changed that is... to the last person that saved the file you opened.

Here comes the question: Why? And how do i prevent this from happening when I open .blend files?

Uncheck the 'Load UI' box, on the left side of the Open dialog.
Then -your- UI will remain when loading projects generated by others.

I sent in a bug report for this very thing quite some time ago and was assured then, that there was an ongoing effort to separate project preferences from UI preferences.

You are not alone... http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8621 (2006)

-chase-

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:33 pm
Tehrasha wrote:
-chase- wrote:

Uncheck the 'Load UI' box, on the left side of the Open dialog.
Then -your- UI will remain when loading projects generated by others.

I sent in a bug report for this very thing quite some time ago and was assured then, that there was an ongoing effort to separate project preferences from UI preferences.

You are not alone... http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8621 (2006)

Thankyou so much Tehrasa! Very Happy

Bloggin Blog

Jump to: