Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon 3D monitor support for modelling?

tmohr

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:40 am
Hi,

i hope this is the correct forum to post to.

More and more 3D hardware becomes available, this could be quite a help when editing a 3D model, when placing objects in 3D space.

For example, i own a Hyundai monitor that lets me view 3D with polarised glasses. But when editing a model in Blender i still open several views on the scene to place objects.

It would be great if i could edit scenes with my 3D monitor and my polarised glasses (or any other hardware).

Is there any plan to make use of 3D hardware when editing scenes?

Best regards,
Torsten.

rjlutz

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:29 pm
+1, I'd like to do this as well.

Nicholas Rishel

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:03 pm
My understanding of 3D monitors at the moment is that there are several competing standards, each of which would require their own unique implementation. Until that scene has settled, I do not imagine anyone would take their time to add this.

DrAltaica

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:03 pm
Nicholas Rishel wrote:
My understanding of 3D monitors at the moment is that there are several competing standards, each of which would require their own unique implementation.

Isn't Blender only OpenGL? which means we just have to deal with side-by-side stereo and quad buffer stereo

Nicholas Rishel

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:32 pm
DrAltaica wrote:
Nicholas Rishel wrote:
My understanding of 3D monitors at the moment is that there are several competing standards, each of which would require their own unique implementation.

Isn't Blender only OpenGL? which means we just have to deal with side-by-side stereo and quad buffer stereo

I could certainly be wrong. :)

Anyone in this thread interested might consider getting involved in development if not already involved. http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/New_Developer_Info

MFX

Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:45 pm
[quote="Nicholas Rishel"]
DrAltaica wrote:
Nicholas Rishel wrote:

Realistically the only format that would need to be supported at the moment is side by side as it can be generated by any bog standard PC and all HDMI 3D monitors support it (it's part of the HDMI spec.), other formats supported by HDMI either need a special graphics card or aren't widely used.

Martin.

MFX

Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:10 pm
Actually I think in an ideal world I would like a two monitor setup :-

1 Monitor would be normal 2D and have blender running as normal.

2nd monitor would be 3D and have a full screen window showing the view from a stereoscopic camera within Blender in side by side format which the monitor would then convert to a stereoscopic view. So work as normal on the first monitor and see 3D view of just the model on the second. Not sure what would be involved programming wise, It's not something I could do.

Martin.

DrAltaica

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:52 am
MFX wrote:

Realistically the only format that would need to be supported at the moment is side by side as it can be generated by any bog standard PC and all HDMI 3D monitors support it (it's part of the HDMI spec.),
The only required 3D format HDMI 1.4 requires is frame packed.

HDMI's side-by-side is 1080x920 with pixels that are twice as wide as they are high. I'm not sure how Blender's GUI widgets would handle non-square pixels.

MFX wrote:
other formats supported by HDMI either need a special graphics card or aren't widely used.

You mean like a Quadro? Yea, I guess your right. It's not like Blender users are going to have a professional graphics cards....
Razz

DrunkenMaster83

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:41 pm
To revive an old thread...

I would also like my 3D view to be stereoscopic. I am aware that it's perfectly possible to render in stereoscopic 3D but I would like to do my general editing in stereo (manipulating objects, etc.). Ideally, there would be built-in support in Blender for this (and apparently there is for the game engine (?) but not the 3D view).

I did come across 2 possible "workaround" solutions:
(1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4u-iPr-6pY
(2) Use TriDef 3D and GLDirect (http://gldirect.sourceforge.net/)

I believe (1) requires a 3D display that automatically interprets the left half and right (or top/bottom) half of the screen as the left- and right-eye images - which means the menus will then show up half in one view and half in the other. Might be ok if the stereo view is on a separate monitor, but I didn't try it.

I tried (2) but Blender just crashes when I drop in GLDirect's opengl32.dll (obviously it has to be 32 bit version of Blender to have any effect at all; and anyway TriDef only supports 32 bit applications). Unfortunately there is no error message on the command line, and the blender.crash.txt is empty (just states Blender version and revision number, nothing else). I didn't entirely expect this to work, but it would be nice to know why it actually fails.

Anyway, how about a solution that actually works and isn't so hackish?

Jump to: