Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Multi-threading fluid sim?

Ultralord

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:21 am
Please move this if it's in the wrong spot. I was wondering if the fluid/smoke simulators are ever going to have support fo multi-threading? I've heard the code is already quite parallel, and it shouldn't be too hard, but I have no python experience so I can't do it. Again, I'm just wondering, not demanding Smile

stiv

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:45 am
Quote:
it shouldn't be too hard,

Heh, famous last words in the software world! I honestly don't know how parallel the existing code is or how hard it would be to thread. I do know it will not be done via python since the Global Interpreter Lock (GIL) effectively forces python to execute a single thread at a time. This is why the multiprocessing module is recommend for applications that need to do actual simultaneous computing.

finder18

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:09 pm
[quote="Ultralord"]Please move this if it's in the wrong spot. I was wondering if the fluid/smoke simulators are ever going to have support fo multi-threading? I've heard the code is already quite parallel, and it shouldn't be too hard, but I have no python experience so I can't do it. Again, I'm just wondering, not demanding Smile[/quote]

me too Can somebody tell us Is there a support for fluid sim for multi-threading ,if so when its gonna be in the official release.

best regards for devs

Jump to: