How to play a Blender 2.5 game outside of blender?

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Synicade

How to play a Blender 2.5 game outside of blender?

Postby Synicade » Mon May 30, 2011 10:09 am

The title explains it all. It's one of those things where it's so basic, no one ever talks about it, so the noobs never figure it out. I've been using blender for a while, but never noticed that I've never actually played any of my blender games. I want a simple .deb (.exe windows equivalent) to execute the game, or something similar, or at least how to do it.
Thanks . :)

OTO

Postby OTO » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:01 pm

Hello
its quite easy ( if it works, mine don't):
In the User Preferences window, Add-Ons tab, Game Engine section, enable the Save as Runtime one!
Then in the File menu, choose Export- Save as runtime and choose a location on your HD ( or other one);
Then you can browse your HD with your file manager and click over the new file icon, your game will appear inside a window ( or full screen)!
Good luck!
ps. a .deb its not a "binary" ( like .exe) file, but a "package" file format created by Debian, more or less like an "installer".

brita_

Postby brita_ » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:53 pm

I have some questions about how to export binaries for the several different OS and architectures and under what licenses I can release my game.
I noticed that the binary I exported for my own architecture has 37.1MB (despite being only the default cube). I am guessing that the BlenderPlayer is incorporated in the executable?
If this is so, than am I required to release under GPL (since BlenderPlayer is GPL too)? How about the python license?

Is there a place where I can read more about release and distribution?

stiv

Postby stiv » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:12 pm

Stuff you create is yours. Do what you want with it.

brita_

Postby brita_ » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:28 pm

Yes, but if the binary file includes the blenderPlayer, than I'm not sure I can redistribute that as I want. And I don't know what else it might include.

stiv

Postby stiv » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:12 pm

The source for Blender binary anything is freely available at blender.org. Since you are not modifying the Blender code, there is no requirement for you to make sources available.

Return to “Interactive 3d”