Cycles Rendering Slower than viewport

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

benz_z

Cycles Rendering Slower than viewport

Postby benz_z » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:36 am

Hi,

Here is my problem.

When i work un blencder with cycles activated ( Geforce GTX 560 TI with CUDA) it's very fast (about 3 minutes for 1000 samples) but when i try to render (with F12) it's slow has hell!!!! about 7 minutes for 1000 samples.

Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks

Intel core I7 3800
16 GHo ram
Geforce 560 TI
blender 2.62

bill2reg

Postby bill2reg » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:11 am

Are you sure you have both the preview and render samples set to 1000? It may be that you have the preview set to a lower number ("integrator" settings). That might explain it.

ZackatSumoFilms

Cycles Render Image not only slower but Crashes

Postby ZackatSumoFilms » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:00 am

Intel i7 950
8GB DDR3 Ram
nVidia Quadro FX 5800
ASUSTek Rampage III Extreme Mobo

Both of my Integrators are set to 300 passes and my Feature Set is on GPU Experimental & GPU Compute. In my User Prefs I set the Compute Device to CUDA and Automatically it is set to Quadro FX 5800. I also made sure to update my card since the CUDA & Open CL weren't updated from the factory. It was working okay until yesterday. Also, I set the Performance to Dynamic BVH, unchecked Use Spatial Splits and Checked Cache BVH (even though I know it won't since my geometry is moving) because otherwise it was slower.
When I let the Object Render 100% it takes 1 min 38 secs. Whereas when I click Render Image it takes 40 minutes to "Build BVH" to 100% and when it gets to packing the triangles it crashes.
At the bottom is a link to download the Blend if anyone wants to take a look. I'm rather in need of some help here. I think it's the Ford logo that's doing it.
Thanks
https://www.box.com/s/e8af79dd3c03946c6e15
Zack Miller
www.sumofilms.com

ZackatSumoFilms

Re: Cycles Render Image not only slower but Crashes

Postby ZackatSumoFilms » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:32 am

ZackatSumoFilms wrote:... I think it's the Ford logo that's doing it...

Well, it's not the Ford Logo... I also removed and reinstalled 2.63. I even tried 2.64 at one point. It doesn't matter. When I view it in the Viewport in Object mode it can build the BVH in seconds and render out ridiculously fast. When I click Render Image now, it totally locks up. Awesome... But, I also tried different projects and they worked. So, in my case it's something I made that is upsetting Cycles. The problem is I've moved the latest objects I created when the problem started to other layers and tried to render with no luck. I even tried Appending the models into a new project. No luck. I guess if it's like the last post I sent out in mid-July I'm just urinating in the airstream. But, hopefully someone somewhere will check out my project and tell me what I'm doing wrong with this project.

ZackatSumoFilms

Bug in my Blend file I guess

Postby ZackatSumoFilms » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:56 pm

I made a new Blender project and Appended some of the elements and materials, but I also ended up recreating others. I don't understand what I did different, but this version works and I'm rendering it out now. I wish someone could look at the file I put together to find out what I did wrong there. It would be nice to know what Not to do in the future.

ZackatSumoFilms

Noticed people are downloading my Blend

Postby ZackatSumoFilms » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:11 am

Has anyone figured out what the problem is with the project? Or did I just give away a free model?

Zeav

Re: Noticed people are downloading my Blend

Postby Zeav » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:49 pm

ZackatSumoFilms wrote:Has anyone figured out what the problem is with the project? Or did I just give away a free model?

Downloaded your model to see. And you got some subsurf at different settings from "View" and "Render" 1 on View, and 2 on render.

Also; Whats with the subsurf of everything, even the places where you can't see the difference? After some reducing of the subsurf, I reduced it from 1m faces, to 200k. Which made a huge difference in rendering speed.

ZackatSumoFilms

Re: Noticed people are downloading my Blend

Postby ZackatSumoFilms » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Zeav wrote:Downloaded your model to see. And you got some subsurf at different settings from "View" and "Render" 1 on View, and 2 on render.

Also; Whats with the subsurf of everything, even the places where you can't see the difference? After some reducing of the subsurf, I reduced it from 1m faces, to 200k. Which made a huge difference in rendering speed.

Thanks for checking it out. I didn't catch the View/Render. As for why I used subsurf so much, I found the subsurf modifier helps clean up straight edges. The sharp edges of a box can really create some ugly "jaggies" on the edges. But, if you loop cut near the edges it will create a rounded edge that is small enough to look straight, but not so big as to look rounded. It also catches the light a lot smoother. The lights will move smoothly along the edge instead of twinkling in the rough corners. As for the Ford oval, I needed it to look as much like the original since it is their image and they are the sponsor of the segment. I built it and really didn't want to go backward after spending so much time on it. So, I appended it from another project. I know it can be simplified, but I just thought it was weird that the project would crash so easily on Render and not in View. I'm definitely going to make a simpler Ford Oval for future projects and keep a closer eye on the View/Render settings.
Thanks again!

Return to “Rendering”