Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Blender 2.6 GUI interface suggestions

themacguy

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:10 pm
Am I the only person frustrated with the "RECENT" and "BOOKMARKS" menus, visible when adding a file or object to Blender??

PLEASE add a small "clear" or "reset" or even an "ADD" button to these menus, so that they can be modified, or completely cleared off, when desired...

Yes I've heard that trashing assorted "default" Blend files in hard-to-find locations will clear off EVERYTHING, but I want to be a bit more selective/elegant about this!

Even better would be some way of "checking off" the undesired items on the list, leaving the DESIRED ones alone...and then being able to proceed with the delete button killing off the checked-off items!

Please advise, if anybody knows if this is on the development list of "things to do in the forseeable future" Anybody know??? Smile
http://www.ihelpmac.com

CoDEmanX

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:38 pm
bookmarks subpanel already got an Add button, and you can also remove entries clicking the "x" to the right of the entry. However, you can't remove two default entries, Documents and Desktop.

Having recently used paths in Recent list wouldn't make much sense anymore, if you started to remove individual entries imo... But i guess it would be rather easy to add an "x" at the right border to remove entries.

Btw. there is a bug somewhere, which handles recently used paths a little odd. If you open a file from an already listed path, the entry in Recent list won't move up to 1st position (where i would expect it the next time i open the file dialog). This means, that often used paths may get dropped from recent list, 'cause new entries will be added to top and move down all other entries. And as re-using a path won't move it to the top, it will eventually disappear.

themacguy

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:04 pm
CoDEmanX wrote:
bookmarks subpanel already got an Add button, and you can also remove entries clicking the "x" to the right of the entry. However, you can't remove two default entries, Documents and Desktop.

Hi, Thanks for the reply! However I don't SEE this "X" to the right of the entry that you refer to.... (If I had, do you think I would've posted my enquiry in the first place?)

I'm using the plain-vanilla official version of Blender 2.63 (64-bit for Mac OSX running on OSX 10.6.8)with no add-on scripts, just what it comes with...

I'd add a few screenshots showing the situation, but cannot seem to make that work in this forum... :-/

Any ideas, or suggestion on how to fix this, MOST welcome! Smile

CoDEmanX

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:12 pm
well, i pointed out that you can't remove certain bookmarked entries, so if you got only these guys, you must think it's impossible...

2.63 on Windows 7 64bit:

themacguy

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:23 pm
CoDEmanX wrote:
well, i pointed out that you can't remove certain bookmarked entries, so if you got only these guys, you must think it's impossible...

2.63 on Windows 7 64bit:

Nice! YOU have an"X" in your bookmarks window, but I don't... so what's going on here??? My window is LOADED with about 40 bookmark locations... all sorts of non-blender stuff too---and NO way to clear it off....

Is there a patch or update that'll fix my problem?

CoDEmanX

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:30 am
does expanding the panel help?

and did you try to hover the (possibly invisible?) "x"? (tooltip should show...)

perhaps it's a mac feature Laughing

you should submit a bug report...

themacguy

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:38 am
CoDEmanX wrote:
does expanding the panel help?

and did you try to hover the (possibly invisible?) "x"? (tooltip should show...)

perhaps it's a mac feature Laughing

you should submit a bug report...

Yes, I've tried hovering, clicking, opening the window up to the maximum... This is definitely SOME sort of "Feature" on my Mac.

Even trashing ALL traces of Blender from my Mac's hard-drive (backed up, exernally, offline first!!) and re-downloading a fresh copy, and unstuffing the install archive doesn't seem to work---the problem persists...

HOW (in detail!) does a person like me submit a bug report???

Thanks, TIA... ;o)

CoDEmanX

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:31 pm
wrap up what you said in this thread and submit it here:

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=add&group_id=9&atid=498

Category either "OS related: OSX" or "Interface"

stiv

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:39 pm
Even trashing ALL traces of Blender from my Mac's hard-drive
Quote:

Did you look for config files in your home directory. Some "friendly" operating systems like to hide them so as not to frighten the users.

Jump to: