Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Blender on Steam

MattOstgard

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:30 pm
I noticed that Valve has recently added a Software section to Steam, but Blender hasn't been added to it. The Blender foundation should look into getting it on there. Maybe it can be approved through the Greenlight voting section.. it looks like greenlight might be intended only for games currently, but blender foundation still might able to submit it and get it approved for the software section.

stiv

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:03 pm
And why would the Blender Foundation want to do this?

MattOstgard

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:46 pm
Because it would get them additional exposure to the next generation of 3d artists.

Scripting_pro

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:48 pm
I think this is a very bad idea.
Blender should stay off steam.

MattOstgard

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:56 pm
Scripting_pro wrote:
I think this is a very bad idea.
Blender should stay off steam.

I'm not sure why putting it on steam would be anything but positive for Blender. Steam hits 3 million concurrent users everyday.. getting just a small portion of that could drastically influence Blenders role in the 3D art community.

On top of that the social aspect would be a big drive for a lot of people. Since you can see what steam application someone is running (it's an option that is on by default) then people will be able to see if someone is using blender out of their friends list.

I think it would be fantastic if I started seeing a competitive amount of professional Blender jobs popping up... And I think this is a way of getting there.

Blender Foundation should get in contact with Valve and see how this can be accomplished. It could really help the steam and Blender community imo.

Tehrasha

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:41 pm
Quote:
Since you can see what steam application someone is running (it's an option that is on by default) then people will be able to see if someone is using blender out of their friends list.

I setup my Blender in Steam as a non-Steam app and accomplished the same thing. Here is what I experienced....

The Steam Friends joins/leaves/now-playing popping up all the time and the Steam Store Special Deals popping up when I close Blender got very annoying.

If Blender were unable to effectively distribute Blender, I could see the benefits of using Steam, but used primarily as a means of market exposure...not so much.

goujosamma

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:03 am
Shocked Oh please, no steam!!!
I Mod for Bethesda Games, and while it is a bit disturbing to watch Bethesda use mods for their current games to build their next game (without attribution) a quick browsing of the steam eula will show that steam owns any and all user created content that is uploaded to their servers. That means (for blender) your scripts, pluggins, models which you hope to share with others via steam become, for all intents and purposes, the property of steam. It would be a real shame to see one of the last bastions of true creative freedom fall victim to such an opportunistic corporate leach as Steam and Valve has proven itself to be.

Jump to: