Scene specific settings

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

as.tech

Scene specific settings

Postby as.tech » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:00 am

I have trouble with scene specific settings. In the documentatione I read:
"New Scene - Link Objects
All objects are linked to the new scene. The layer and selection flags of the objects can be configured differently for each scene. "

I created a new scene and used "link objects". Then I defined the rendered objects by flaging them. I could watch the selected (linked) objects be activated in every other scene.
I also tried to define different active cameras in different linked scenes. It did not work - changing the active camera in one scene changed it in all other scenes.
I tried to use indirect lighting for one and wrongly made the change in all scenes.

Can anyone help me, what's wrong?
Thanks in advance! as.tech

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:40 am

pick "Full Copy" if you need completely independent objects and data.

"Link Object Data" will allow you to change object settings (like location, rotation...) independently, but their associated data will still be shared. So all changes to a camera's data, like lens type, will happen to other scenes with that camera data as well.
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

as.tech

Postby as.tech » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:13 am

Hi, and thanks for the answer!

Well, actually I want all objects to be linked, link in real world, except for all settings belonging to the camera shot. I understood scenes as possibility to position cameras in different places and optimize all settings to get good pictures.
That is e.g. I have a street. One camera is in the street and focuses on the buildings along the street. Another camera is situated in a room with a window to this street. I want to use indirect lightning which I do not need outside. And to minimize rendering times I flag some objects outside with "no rendering" which can't be seen anyway.

"Full copy" would make it tedious to change objects in every scene.
"Link data objects" also, since rotation and place of objects is vital for the identification of a place from different positions.
"Link data" seemed to be the optimal, but documentation and blender behaviour differ significantly.

I suppose my intention is very common, is there no fitting solution?

Thanks! as.tech

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:38 pm

if i understand you right, you wanna have Objects and Object data linked among scenes, except for Location / Rotation / Scale.

I would solve this by keyframing objects (LocRotScale) in a single scene, e.g. frame 1 with camera from right side, frame 2 with cam from above etc.
Then render frame 1, 2, etc. individually.
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Return to “Interface & Tools”