could the viewport stats slow blender?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

could the viewport stats slow blender?

Postby Bernardo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi all. I am an Italian guy, living in Poland. I work in a vfx and adv studio. Ok... after this small introduction let's get to business :)

I know this could be silly but I decided to give it a try...

Today at work my colleague was showing me a problem he had in 3d studio max with the viewport speed. Usually 3dstudio has a pretty fast viewport, but in a particular scene he couldnt get a fluid viewport. After a while he realized that he had turned on the viewport stats (n. of vertex, faces and so on) and this was the reason of the slow viewport. Once he turned that off everything was super smooth.

Now... I have to say I am totally ignorant with this stuff, but it came up in my head that blender has costantly visible this viewport stats. Probabily it has nothing to do with it, but I thought that there could be some kind of connection with the fact the blender viewport is so slow. I don't know... maybe is tought to calculate this stats all the time...

I know I know... if it would be so simple probably they would have already fixed that... but still I thought to give this a try...

Any thought of this from someone more expert on the topic?

Postby CoDEmanX » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:22 am

imo the not well-responsive UI originates from OpenGL, Blender draws its interface with it like a game instead of using API calls to UI elements of the current OS.

And Blender seems to use CPU for viewport rendering, at least for me using a laptop with Intel core i5 (graphics HD 3000) + nvidia geforce gt 555m (optimus). With my GPU enabled, there aren't any speed gains.

This could also mean that it's not OpenGL, but the calculations of data etc. Can't tell anything for sure :/

You should also keep in mind, that Blender uses multithreading just in a few areas, it might be unable to take full advantage of your machine as yet.

Last but not least, there was a project in this year's GSoC, which aimed for viewport optimization in terms of drawing speed / OpenGL. Haven't tried it yet, but i hope we will get it with 2.65!
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Postby Bernardo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:03 am

Hi CoDEmanx and thanks for the reply. I know about the GSoC project, and I really hope to see it working soon, as for me blender viewport is a big weak point of a great soft.

About my idea, unluckly you are right, it looks like this does not affect the performance. If you are interested to do some further testing here is the link to a thread I opened on BA about the topic. A user there told me how to get rid of that stats. ... ow-blender

cheers and thanks for the answer :)

Return to “Interface & Tools”