The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jeotero

Postby jeotero » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:27 am

nice

leinad13

UI

Postby leinad13 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:53 pm

I think that Broken has been highly selfish in what he has acheived. IF HE can edit Blender and compile it, i dont think he should only be changing the interface for himself, surly it wouldnt be that hard or take that much work to find out how to add a couple of sliders, or presets. Not everyone wants a light UI, that fine, but maybe they want a light UI for working in the day, and a dark UI for working in the night. Plus i also think that they are entitled to choose which UI they use. The Blender Open Source Project is going to go no where, if people keep changing the code to suit themselves only. If i could compile the damn code in MSVC then i would, but because the code is in such a mess at the moment it wont compile for shit.

Anyway sorry to have a dig Broken you have done some good work, but i think that you should consider the whole community when altering the code. Where everyone who is editing the code realises this, we will have a more constructive and better blender. Until then the only thing i have noticed change in the program since it has gone open source is boolean operations, which are crap anyway and mess things up.

Sorry for the negetivity and pessimism but i think that real opinions should be valued.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:33 pm

Leinad13, "not going way out of my way to do things for others" is not the same as "highly selfish" and I'm sorry you feel that way. I made it for myself, as more of an experiment and a 'proof of concept' idea and to have something that I preferred working with.

Please don't make assumptions saying "surely it wouldn't have been hard to make sliders etc" because it is hard. If it were easy, I probably would have done it because it would have made life much easier in testing the colours I liked, rather than changing values in the source code and re-compiling time after time again to test it by trial and error. I'm not a programmer by nature - I'm educated as a graphic designer. I just felt determined enough that I took it on myself to try and learn as much as I could in order to customise it the way I wanted. If it's not hard to make sliders and things to store the user preferences, then feel free to send in a code patch. I'm sure many of us will be very grateful to see it.

Although I have tried to do something that other people might like too, Open Source doesn't mean people have an obligation to do things for others. It means that the source is open and people are free to do with it whatever they like. I have no problem with your ideas about helping the community though - I have been trying to do so as much as I can. However, I do take offense at you calling me 'highly selfish'. I really don't think that's reasonable, or appropriate.

NewBlenderUserJack

Postby NewBlenderUserJack » Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:56 pm

Yo, how do you change the color of the interface? I want to change the color in my Blender, too.

If it has to be done from within the source code, can you please tell me where in the source code I can change the color values?

Thanks.

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:09 am

All I'd done in that experiment is that change the colour values from within the source code. Hopefully, I (after I'm more familiar with all of this) or someone else may be able to implement some sort of user preference in the future. Here's some information about the whereabouts of it all, in a reply I wrote to Dani.

NewBlenderUserJack

thnx

Postby NewBlenderUserJack » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:03 am

Thank you. Is that everything about changing colors in the source code?

matt_e

Re: thnx

Postby matt_e » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:21 pm

NewBlenderUserJack wrote:Thank you. Is that everything about changing colors in the source code?

Well, it's all I got to finding anyway. There are probably more colours defined elsewhere in the source though, like in the Ipo window. That's all I looked for in that test, though.

leinad13

Sorry Broken

Postby leinad13 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:50 pm

Sorry Broken i just realised how skank and rude i was, i didnt mean to sound so rude, but sometimes i get really frustrated because for some wierd reason i cant compile the source. Until the source is easier to compile and i can compile it, then expect sum more random outbursts and rants :S

I gonna keep trying to compile the source then fiddle round with it myself, when that happens ill most definatly stop complaining.
-------------

Over to you boffins

L!13

matt_e

Re: Sorry Broken

Postby matt_e » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:55 am

leinad13 wrote:Until the source is easier to compile and i can compile it, then expect sum more random outbursts and rants :S

No harm done, but please keep it civil. If you didn't know about it already, this list of step-by-step guides for compiling on differnt platforms may be of use to you:

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... pic&t=1173

If you have more specific problems, I'm sure the people in the Compiling forum can give you some directions.

Panther

Postby Panther » Tue May 06, 2003 8:40 am

Although some people don't seem to like your colour scheme ( personally, I prefer it ), I think it's unanimous that everybody prefers your buttons.

Any chance of you uploading the 'Button' code into the Tuhopuu CVS tree ???

Maybe if you could add a new button for a user-definable colour scheme in the 'User Prefs' side of Blender, you could also upload your new ( darker ) GUI too ( and also silence all those critics out there :wink: ).

It's good to see at least someone else is willing to try Blender's code... Keep up the good work !!!

luckybreak

Postby luckybreak » Tue May 27, 2003 3:51 am

Any updates to these ideas? I'd love the next release to have more new look :P
LB

diz

Neutral colors

Postby diz » Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:39 am

Hello,

I used broken's dark blender for a while and also tried several tunings of the windows colors. My conclusion is that broken's blender is too dark (for me) and best would be a neutral 50% grey as background (128;128;128), what is already almost the case. Such a grey is really great to set a reference point to what is lighter than normal and darker than normal. It also helps the eye to be neutral to what it sees on the screen. To help the eye to act neutrally it is also good to reduce the amount of bright and saturated colors in the interface.

Here's a screenshot of the windows color sheme I did:
(actually the grey you see on my gui is not perfectly a 50% grey because of the indexed colors of the image, but it's very close to it: 130;130;130)

Here's what you've to do to install that color sheme on win2k (but I think that the procedure won't differ a lot for other windows versions):
  • Download that file (right click=>save link as): http://sked.ch/~gwalt/medium.reg.
  • Goto start menu => run => type "regedit" => ok.
  • Open the folder HKEY_USERS and select the user ID (that does not finish with "_Classes") for which you want to install the color sheme.
  • Right click on it and choose "Copy Key Name".
  • Open the previously downloaded .reg file and open it in notepad.
  • Replace ".DEFAULT" on third line with the ID you copied, save that modification and close notepad.
  • Double-click on the file you just modified to put the values defined in the file into your registry.

It would be great to have a perfectly 50% grey as default blender background color, and then one slider to adjust the gamma or the brightness of the interface.

Gabriel

Return to “Interface & Tools”