Which renderer would you like blender to support

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ideasman

Which renderer would you like blender to support

Postby ideasman » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:17 pm

Hi All, this is my first post...
I love blender, however it the rendering engine is showing its age (we all agree?)

Yafray is promising, renderman is awesome, povray (mixed feelings), lightflow is dead etc...

Anyway the point I want to make is that there are a lot og good renderers around, And the blender community needs to adopt one.

Its no good having half baked support for every renderer around, better support one and support it well, either replace the current one, or support it through a plugin.

The blender community need to back the plugin- distribute it with the source, have tutoriols , include quality 3d art in the gallery, have a blender XYZ renderer fund and finance the writer(s)...

The result will be BLENDER = QUALITY RENDERER (better then lightwave, max mabe even maya and softimage)

At the small cost of writing a good plugin, that seemlesly intergrates with blenders current textrure/lighting/ camera setup.

Just think, the renderer is the only thing that seperates blender from other high end 3d apps.

Would like to here others opinions are. which renderer is best.
I would say RIB (proven, industry standard, range to choose from) Iand then Yafray (great new teach, open and high quality)

Pablosbrain

Postby Pablosbrain » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:38 pm

I would say that supporting Renderman renderers is a good solid goal. Support for Renderman would push Blender in the industry. Its also a project which has already been started. And thanks to Greens hard work its coming along!

green

Postby green » Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:10 pm

Pablosbrain wrote:I would say that supporting Renderman renderers is a good solid goal. Support for Renderman would push Blender in the industry. Its also a project which has already been started. And thanks to Greens hard work its coming along!

Well. the next 4-5 weeks is going to be very busy for me.
Going to do a still image of the cistercienechurch ruins.
Doing too much linear algebra studies for any sane man to take.
And a pre-internship for a game company(aka working for free for no good).

So no time can be alloted to programming for a while.

I might be able to ditch the pre-internship though, but i'm not sure.

Pablosbrain

Postby Pablosbrain » Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:40 am

More power to ya! Good luck with the internship!

harkyman

Postby harkyman » Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:29 pm

You guys have to do pre-internships now?! Why IN MY DAY ONLY THE MOST MOTIVATED BROWNIE EVEN KNEW WHAT AN INTERNSHIP WAS!

Cool for you, though. That'll be a nice head start on everyone else.

RIB support. Native RIB support. Direct Blender material conversion/integrated shader construction. When you read how the big boys did something (Pixar, the Stuart Little 2 people, etc), they don't necessarily comment on the modeller they used (though a lot of them use Maya), but they always say that they render with a Renderman renderer.

Give Blender native RIB support and pros will begin to use it.

ray_theray

Postby ray_theray » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:48 am

harkyman wrote:RIB support. Native RIB support. Direct Blender material conversion/integrated shader construction. When you read how the big boys did something (Pixar, the Stuart Little 2 people, etc), they don't necessarily comment on the modeller they used (though a lot of them use Maya), but they always say that they render with a Renderman renderer.

Give Blender native RIB support and pros will begin to use it.

AMEN!! :P
Even though I tend to like virtualight, radiance, yafray and the like, renderman is a Standard. If we can't bring Mohammed to the mountain, let's drag it to Mohammed. :wink:
-ray_theray

Return to “Rendering”