Why is the Z-Axis up in Blender?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Bizzle

Why is the Z-Axis up in Blender?

Postby Bizzle » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:33 am

IS there a reason why the Z-Axis is the up axis in Blender when in almost every other package, Y is up, X is left to right, and Z is depth?

Is there a way to change it?

leroi

Postby leroi » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:08 am

I noticed this as well; but, I am totally new to 3D modeling and Blender so I can't help...albeit I'd still like to know

I have the newest 2.43 version also
and I can not find the sub-serf option either

It was called for in another tut on this site making the vase...and it
is not located where they said it was... :roll:

--leroi--

joeri

Postby joeri » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:19 am

There are two axis systems. "Right hand" and "Left hand". Google is your friend.
Blender is creative based, not construction based. In this vision we see "depth" as something forward, not as "up". In 'normal' life UP can be regarded as height so that would be the -Z axes.
I think you will find that older packages use Z as the axis moving away from you, like in spreadsheets, X to the right, Y up and Z the pages.

I thought the whole matrix reconstruction by Martin was done to make Axis swapping possible, but I'm not sure what the status on that is.

joeri

Postby joeri » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:23 am

leroi wrote:I have the newest 2.43 version also
--leroi--

This question is answered very often on this forum, so a little search would have brought you the answer pretty fast. And even better would be to pose this question at a user forum. I'm told blenderartists.org is a good one.

Ai, yes, euh,... the sub-surf is moved from a separate function to the modifiers list. That's a good place to look for other missing functions anyway and contains many new great additions.

leroi

Postby leroi » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:34 pm

joeri wrote:
leroi wrote:I have the newest 2.43 version also
--leroi--

This question is answered very often on this forum, so a little search would have brought you the answer pretty fast. And even better would be to pose this question at a user forum. I'm told blenderartists.org is a good one.

Ai, yes, euh,... the sub-surf is moved from a separate function to the modifiers list. That's a good place to look for other missing functions anyway and contains many new great additions.

Yeah I managed to figure it out; thanks tho... I was just all confuzzled cause the tutorial I was following was done before 2.43a...

I should have googled it tho as I give that advice myself many times a day :D ...

I do appreciate the feed back tho!

--leroi--

Bizzle

Postby Bizzle » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:07 pm

joeri wrote:There are two axis systems. "Right hand" and "Left hand". Google is your friend.
Blender is creative based, not construction based. In this vision we see "depth" as something forward, not as "up". In 'normal' life UP can be regarded as height so that would be the -Z axes.
I think you will find that older packages use Z as the axis moving away from you, like in spreadsheets, X to the right, Y up and Z the pages.

I thought the whole matrix reconstruction by Martin was done to make Axis swapping possible, but I'm not sure what the status on that is.

Joeri - Yes, Google is my friend. I didn't find anything that helped me out.

I would just love if there was an option in Blender to change the Z to depth.

ultrabizz

Postby ultrabizz » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:55 am

When using Blender to create models and animations for The Torque Game Engine, the exporter creates animations which are not compatible with models produced in 3DS Max with the same bone naming convention.

This incompatibility is purely because of this difference in axis between Blender and Max and probably Maya as well.

Having the ability to select the axis as user defined would be great.
Or perhaps a drop down list of axis choices to emulate eg, Max or Maya etc.

joeri

Postby joeri » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:57 pm

Maya lets you choose which axis is up. Set that to the Blender standard and your problem is solved.

LayBack

Postby LayBack » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:38 pm

joeri wrote:There are two axis systems. "Right hand" and "Left hand". Google is your friend.

All 3D applications use right hand systems (at least Blender and Maya do). In Maya Z is NOT pointing away from you (this would be left handed) but points straight into your face -- in front view that is. The only difference between Blender and Maya is a 90 degree rotation around the X axis. (Well, there are other differences as you may have noticed :-))

LayBack

ultrabizz

Postby ultrabizz » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:50 pm

The problem we have is that the Max and Maya exporters create animation sequence files so that the animations can be reused in game for different models as long as they have the same bone structure and naming convention.

Creating a model in Blender wont let you use all those nice pre-existing animations created by people with those other tools because the axis system makes the poses go haywire.

Therefore it is desireable in our situation to have Blender be able to match other axis systems if required and having Maya being able to match Blender does not help in this instance.

Alternatively, a short term solution is to apply an appropriate matrix transform to each bone during the blender export process for this engine. I think it might work but I'm not sure how to do that.

joeri

Postby joeri » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:20 am

Sounds to me you want the exporters to export correctly to your needs rather then changing the whole coordinate system of blender.

Return to “Interface & Tools”