Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Guides for compiling Blender

dsavi

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:57 am
Yep, I have the latest version of python-dev available from the Ubuntu package repositories, and have already compiled Python 3.1.1 from source. I have Python 2.6 too. Apparently though, the development files don't come with Python 3.1.1 if you compile from source.

Lord of the Rings Junkie

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:59 pm
I haven't read through this entire thread, but I thought I should point out that the page linked to for the MSVC compiling guide is no longer maintained.

I recommend this page as a replacement: link

johnrambo

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:30 pm
Hi Friends.
I am new to this Technology and wanted to know compilation method for it. In your comments, I easily found all the steps to compile blender which solved my doubts.
Thanks.

ridgerunner

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:47 pm
I have MSVC 6 and would like to build blender on my XP Pro-32-bit SP2 box (without .NET). After spending several hours of initial research, it appears to me that the build documentation is pretty scattered and covers a wide variety of platforms, compiler tools and blender versions. (e.g. all of the links at the beginning of this thread are dead)

I'd prefer to avoid using CMake, Cygwin and other such make tools, and stick with straight MSVC 6. I'd rather not have to download and figure out how to use the bloated MS 2010 C++ Express tools with all the .NET crap.

Is anyone still building blender with MSVC 6?

stiv

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:49 pm
Quote:
I'd prefer to avoid using CMake, Cygwin and other such make tools, and stick with straight MSVC 6.

There is a reason people use these tools to build Blender: because they are actively supported and tend to work right out of the box. I prefer scons myself.

I assume you have looked at the compiling guide on the wiki. It is for VC 2008, but I'm guessing you can adapt the project files for VC 2006.

Jpeger

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:09 pm
I'm having some major issues compiling blender on windows7 I'm not sure as to the direct cause but the output I keep getting tells me that the python.h isnt being found.

heres the error code and output: "intern\audaspace\intern\AUD_PyInit.h(31) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Python.h' : No such file or directory"

I'm using Visual Studios 2008. Any help would be much appreciated.

stiv

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:34 pm
Quote:
Cannot open include file: 'Python.h' : No such file or directory"

No such file means either something is not installed or your include paths in your build environment are wrong. The 'something' in question here is the Python source files. Likely you need to install the Python source code.

bisonj9

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:53 am
Hi Everyone,

I am new to blender. I could successfully build blender on windows 7 with mingw and cmake from command line, had no issues.

What I am looking for is information on how to set up blender as a project in any IDE. While I am using netbeans currently, as it integrates well with mingw tool chain and has active support, info on setting up on any IDE should be valuable.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Serapth

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:33 pm
I recorded a guide a month or so back that you could add to the list.

Guide to building Blender on Windows

Compiling Blender on Windows Video Edition

It shows compiling a development branch, but should still be useful. Tools used were Visual Studio 2010, CMake and Cygwin. It was pretty comprehensive, including SVN checkout. It is just under 5 minutes in length.

The guide itself includes setting up Cygwin and CMake.

kestion

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:14 am
Hi,
I tried the video guide. It looks like the same tool set i used. SVN tortoise, cmake.gui, msvc 10 complete and msvc 2008 express. I had a hard time seeing the video because of poor resolution. Also no voice to guide me or text to organize the procedural steps. I Get erroors. I posted to one of my favourite "how to build blender 2.5x" tutorials with the details here
http://blog.mikepan.com/build-blender-2-5-a-visual-guide/

Serapth wrote:

It shows compiling a development branch, but should still be useful. Tools used were Visual Studio 2010, CMake and Cygwin. It was pretty comprehensive, including SVN checkout. It is just under 5 minutes in length.

kestion

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:34 am
Can't build blender 2.59 on wndows 7 64 msvc, svn, cmake
i really can't

Last edited by kestion on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

kestion

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:08 am
Following the guide

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Windows/msvc/Scons

I get as far as

set PATH=C:\Python26;%PATH%
(I use set PATH=C:\Phython27;%PATH% )

but when i check the path
>PATH
i don't see c:\phython27 in the long list that ends with c:\Program Files\ToroiseSVN\bin

I can see that c:\python27 is there in windows explorer.

??

stiv

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:28 pm
I suspect you are changing the path in a single dos box and not doing it system-wide. Are you doing this?
Quote:
Open the Visual Studio Command Prompt (NOT just the normal command prompt) (if compiling for 64-bit, make sure to open the 64-bit prompt).

kestion

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:53 pm
Thanks. I had both cmd and msvc command prompts open and got them confused. PATH now lists phython27. (python.org recommends 2.7 over 3.2 for newbies as it is compatible with more 3rd party stuff right now)

ran scons and it chugged happily for a good ten minutes, but then terminated with the following:

while linking makesdna.exe

module machine type 'X86' conflicts with target machine type 'x64'

I'm running windows 7, used Python 2.7.2 Windows X86-64 Installer and copied the win64 into lib/ with tortoiseSVN. Both VS 9 2008 express and VS 10.0 2010 pro are installed in Program Files (x86)\

Only thing i can find about building for x64 in blenderSVN\ is from build_x64.txt
"I used the following build parameters within VS 9 2008 express for most libs:
- use static MFC
- /machine:x64
DG"
But i don't know how to play around with this.

I'm getting close right?

kesten

BlenderSVN and subfolders screenshot
[img]http://www.sunfarmkitchens.ca/?q=webfm_send/23[/img]

Serapth

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:21 am
kestion wrote:
Hi,
I tried the video guide. It looks like the same tool set i used. SVN tortoise, cmake.gui, msvc 10 complete and msvc 2008 express. I had a hard time seeing the video because of poor resolution. Also no voice to guide me or text to organize the procedural steps. I Get erroors. I posted to one of my favourite "how to build blender 2.5x" tutorials with the details here
http://blog.mikepan.com/build-blender-2-5-a-visual-guide/

Serapth wrote:

Hi Kestion, don't use the video embedded in the site, use the link, the video is 1080p at the source and is just smushed to fit in with the blogs formatting, something I intend to address eventually.

Anyways, you can watch the video in full 1080p on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LbrLUO2hBE

Its also on Vimeo if you are not a YouTube fan:
http://www.vimeo.com/25140855

Although the vimeo encoding doesn't appear to be as clear.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jump to: