Second Life Blender Export of SCULPTY

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Slartibartfast

Second Life Blender Export of SCULPTY

Postby Slartibartfast » Fri May 25, 2007 4:57 pm

Hello everyone.

Some of you may know, others may not--Second Life has recently implemented a new import functionality. Objects known as "Sculpty" prims are now available. Long story short, you can now import 3d models into Second Life that use a normal map as a displacement map which shapes a single prim into a conceivably high-detailed mesh.

That all may sound like jibberish to some people, but others will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Which brings me to my point (and question):

I am looking for a tutorial on this. I have not been able to find a tutorial that illustrates in a comprehensive tutorial how to create, and import a model (and displacement map along with baked shadows) into Second Life.

Could someone please help me? Thank you in advance.

Glowbox Designs
Michael Allen Reed
(SL: Michael Bigwig)

LetterRip

Postby LetterRip » Fri May 25, 2007 8:46 pm

Hi

what about the tutorial here

http://amandalevitsky.googlepages.com/sculptedprims

LetterRip

Slartibartfast

Postby Slartibartfast » Fri May 25, 2007 10:11 pm

LetterRip wrote:Hi

what about the tutorial here

http://amandalevitsky.googlepages.com/sculptedprims

LetterRip

This has certainly helped, but like many tutorials, it assumes I know how to use Blender already. Of course, I can putter around and find out how to do certain Blender-specific things...

Something seems missing at the end of the tutorial. Am I mistaken, or does this tutorial totally skip the Second Life phase? Ok...so, I made this texture map in Blender...now I just open Second Life, and...a vase is already there?

:lol:

Ok, so I'm joking...but it's true. This tutorial isn't very comprehensive. I'm not picky...

EDIT: Nah. This works just fine. It would be nice if there was a touch more detail, or another example to contrast...but thank you for the link regardless.
Michael Allen Reed

(SL: Michael Bigwig)

ebbixx

Importing Sculpties

Postby ebbixx » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:35 am

Slartibartfast wrote:This has certainly helped, but like many tutorials, it assumes I know how to use Blender already. Of course, I can putter around and find out how to do certain Blender-specific things...

Something seems missing at the end of the tutorial. Am I mistaken, or does this tutorial totally skip the Second Life phase? Ok...so, I made this texture map in Blender...now I just open Second Life, and...a vase is already there?

What you're looking for is not really Blender-specific. Assuming you have created the appropriate texture map, it's oriented correctly and everything, and saved somewhere you can find it on your local machine... exporting that texture to Second Life if fairly simple. You import the texture just as you would import any texture in Second Life, from the File menu. There's even a sculpt-type preview, though it's a little borked at the moment I'm writing this.

The only other step is to create a "prim" of the sculpt type. This remains slightly more complicated than it should be, since there is no sculpt-type icon on the main "create" menu. But you simply need to:

- Create a prim of any other type;
    - Open the Object tab;
    - Locate the button that says"Building Block Type";
    - Select "Sculpted" from that drop-down menu -- the prim will change into an apple, and the sculpt texture for the apple will show in the texture window;
    - Click the texture window;
    - Select your new sculpt texture from your inventory, (The prim should change to match your new shape);
    - Resize, reshape and add a surface texture as needed.

wavez

Postby wavez » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:07 am

It's not a normal map, it's a displacement map. It uses color channels, but those color channels are used as vectors from the object origin to the vertex location. In a normal map, every pixel color value has to result in a normalized vector. So a value of <1,0,0> is valid and is normalized, while a value of <0.5,0,0> is not, for a normal map.

wavez

Postby wavez » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:10 am

While I prefer the tutorial link that was given, as being a better way to start shaping a "sculpty prim", this page will be easier for blender noobies:
http://bentha.net/sculpted-tuto/Blender-export-template-tut.html

Also, the only step that ebbixx forgot is that you need to upload your render baked displacement texture, which costs you 10L. Minor detail.

modeller

Postby modeller » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:23 am

wavez wrote:While I prefer the tutorial link that was given, as being a better way to start shaping a "sculpty prim", this page will be easier for blender noobies:

Also, the only step that ebbixx forgot is that you need to upload your render baked displacement texture, which costs you 10L. Minor detail.

It could be a useful information but...
dead link !!!
VISIT MY BLOG : Everyday living in Second Life
http://www.living2life.blogspot.com

NalatesU

Postby NalatesU » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:17 pm

This post thread comes up in searches... Blender Sculpties or Sculpty

There are some really good video tutorials by Gaia on Mahinimatrix.org
http://blog.machinimatrix.org/

They use both pure Blender and PrimStar and JASS.
Nalates

gaia.clary

Postby gaia.clary » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:29 pm

NalatesU wrote:There are some really good video tutorials by Gaia on Mahinimatrix.org
http://blog.machinimatrix.org/

They use both pure Blender and PrimStar and JASS.
Hi. I felt to clarify:

Jass is a free binary redistribution of blender-2.49b + python-2.6.4 + primstar-1.0.0 + some add on scripts created by the machinimatrix team. Jass-2 is available from

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/3d-creation/jass-2-0/

Jass-2 comes along with an installer, which makes it extremely easy to install an out of the box solution. Jass-2 is currently only available for windows. An installer for Mac OS is planned and will get ready as soon as we get our new Mac (We are waiting for the new Mac-Pro release which hopefully will get out soon) :wink:

cheers,
Gaia

casdon

Postby casdon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:26 am

Ok i get how to upload it in Second life but i was watching a tutorial and when he was uploading the sculpt he had to bake it and the button name was bake render second life or something and i cant find it can someone please tell me how to get that

shamskabra

Postby shamskabra » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:08 pm

wavez wrote:While I prefer the tutorial link that was given, as being a better way to start shaping a "sculpty prim", this page will be easier for blender noobies:

Hello,
This link for tutorial seems to be broken. :roll:

shamskabra

Postby shamskabra » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Hello Everyone,

I came across blender 15 days ago, I tried hard to use it and now I got some good tutorial which made me feel that now I know the ABC of Blender and I am very happy. that now I can go on my own, of course by following other forums and tutorial, But still I am confuse where second life comes, Python, Primstar things. I spent whole day and night just to figure out how I will be able to import sculpties to second life.

This is what i have, what I did and what i request from you guys :-

1. I installed different version (and uninstalled after failing to achieve what i want) of blender, primstar and python. now back to blender 2.56b.
2. I spent lots of time searching for any instruction, that i can follow to get things done.
3. I have an I7 processor computer with VGA Nvedia card on it running window 7.

Now it will be highly appreciated if some one can tell me or give me a link where I can find the stuff I am looking for.

I need to know, if Blender 2.56b also requires add on programs like Primstar and python inorder to export sculpties to second life, and if it dose please let me know which version of blender I should use there seems to be lots of confusion, as much as i read I get more and more confused.

Please Help.
Thank you.

:roll:

Return to “Documentation & Education”