.max and .ma import/export scripts

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Mad Matt

.max and .ma import/export scripts

Postby Mad Matt » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:50 pm

When I got Blender, I was shocked to see all of the import/export scripts it had :shock: . However it disapointed me a little to find out you couldn't use .max or .ma(.mb) format :? . So could somebody make those scripts?

_Mad Matt
If I cut off your arms and I cut off your legs, would you still love me anyway~~Michale Graves

alarionfirn

Postby alarionfirn » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:55 pm

1) I am no coder but as far as I know, both formats (.max and .ma/.mb) are closed formats and there is no paper/spec describing how these files are 'made.' I'd highly recommend to use the obj format for exchanging models since it's kind of a standard in the industry. And ther should be a free obj exporter for max and maya has a built-in one (although that one doesn't support groups-> there is a better script around in the internet).

Btw keep in mind that people spend there free time on developing Blender and thus I'd formulate your question for a developer to spend his spare time developing a script for you, in a different way.

stvienna

I would need .max support too

Postby stvienna » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:42 pm

Hello,

I agree with the first poster that 3dmax-file support (.max) and maya would be essential to use blender. At least for me an other people who download files from the internet. Because I am using linux and I cant install the windows version of 3dmax.

So if the support for this file format isn't possible yet (because of lack of resources) it should be clearly stated on the webset. Currently it is not clearly stated what file-format are supported for import and export. Also the program gives no clear Error-Message when you try to open a .max file.
(like sorry the file format is not supported please try to export to a obj file and try importing this into blender).

regards,
Stephan

MadMesh

Postby MadMesh » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:55 pm

The only application I know that can convert (Maya) .ma .mb or (3D studio Max) .max is Polytrans and you need to have an installed version of these aplications for the converter to work. These formats are native formats, forget about having them implemented in Blender no app other then Maya (for .mb and .ma) or Max (for .max) can read these formats.

LFCTigger

.max script

Postby LFCTigger » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:06 am

How about Milkshape then?

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:45 pm

Maya ASCII (.MA) is not a closed format as the file specs are available:

http://caad.arch.ethz.ch/info/maya/manual/FileFormats/index.html

please contact me if you plan to write a MA import plugin!
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

stiv

Postby stiv » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Maya ASCII (.MA) is not a closed format as the file specs are available:
please contact me if you plan to write a MA import plugin!

Seems unlikely to happen. From your link:

If you want to write a program to translate Maya ASCII files to other file formats, you have a difficult job ahead of you. To do the job properly, you would not only need to be able to read in the files, but also to read in the referenced files. Since MEL references can contain any arbitrary MEL code, you would either have to not support
them, or write a full MEL interpreter.

Return to “Python”