Vista Problems

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

farvan

Vista Problems

Postby farvan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:46 pm

I do actually see a place to put this but I guess this is the closes place to put it.
I have Vista and when I use blender all the menus slowly scroll close and blender doesn't allow me to do anything until the slow scroll is complete.
Any solutions to this?

jesterKing
Site Admin

Postby jesterKing » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:26 am

Moved topic.

This not very likely a Vista problem, but more a videocard (driver) problem. You may have to tweak your display settings (turn down or even off hardware acceleration, disable fullscreen antialiasing, try different colordepths). Also, upgrading to the newest driver version often helps.

/Nathan

Phil-W

Postby Phil-W » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:00 pm

I am running Vista Home Basic 32 using Intel mobile 945GM chipset.
I have the most up to date drivers fitted.

Blender installed and runs OK.

But as others have reported there are some problems.

using KEYB select mode the crosshairs are not visible and KEYF12 render produces a blank screen.

The rendering is done and can be exported but the render window does not work.

I found that dropping the color depth to 16 made it work again.. but that ain't so good.

In the end I selected the properties tab for the blender.exe shortcut and selected "Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode" and full screen and de-selected visual effects. Now the render window works and the crosshairs are visible for KEYB.

cheers

p.s. I am not sure exactly which of the actions corrected the problem but a little investigation will tell. I was just happy to get it working.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Postby jesterKing » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:01 am

I think it is the fact that you deselected visual effects. I have taken aero entirely out, so perhaps that is why I don't experience many of the said problems. I'm left with a ATi videocard, though :)

/Nathan

farvan

Postby farvan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:04 am

jesterKing wrote:Moved topic.

This not very likely a Vista problem, but more a videocard (driver) problem. You may have to tweak your display settings (turn down or even off hardware acceleration, disable fullscreen antialiasing, try different colordepths). Also, upgrading to the newest driver version often helps.

/Nathan

Thank you!
It worked I can do modeling again!

neighborlee

Re: Vista Problems

Postby neighborlee » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:08 am

farvan wrote:I do actually see a place to put this but I guess this is the closes place to put it.
I have Vista and when I use blender all the menus slowly scroll close and blender doesn't allow me to do anything until the slow scroll is complete.
Any solutions to this?

I am having similar issues with vista and blender..wings3d, XSI and silo3d are perfectly fine.I can use blender very well but ONLY if I dont use fullscreen mode with it.

what did you do to fix your problem and were you also seeing slow downs in fullscreen mode ?

thx
lee
http://heartseed.sf.net
One Game at a time-

jesterKing
Site Admin

Postby jesterKing » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:27 am

neighborlee wrote:what did you do to fix your problem and were you also seeing slow downs in fullscreen mode ?

Have you already tried turning Aero completely off?

/Nathan

Morokiane

Postby Morokiane » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:48 pm

Phil-W wrote:I am running Vista Home Basic 32 using Intel mobile 945GM chipset.
I have the most up to date drivers fitted.

Blender installed and runs OK.

But as others have reported there are some problems.

using KEYB select mode the crosshairs are not visible and KEYF12 render produces a blank screen.

The rendering is done and can be exported but the render window does not work.

I found that dropping the color depth to 16 made it work again.. but that ain't so good.

In the end I selected the properties tab for the blender.exe shortcut and selected "Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode" and full screen and de-selected visual effects. Now the render window works and the crosshairs are visible for KEYB.

cheers

p.s. I am not sure exactly which of the actions corrected the problem but a little investigation will tell. I was just happy to get it working.

After the render completes if you just move the window it'll show up. You can also enable the render to render to the UV/Image area and it'll also work fine.
Raise your cup and lets purpose a toast, to the thing that hurts you most.

neighborlee

Postby neighborlee » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:37 pm

jesterKing wrote:
neighborlee wrote:what did you do to fix your problem and were you also seeing slow downs in fullscreen mode ?

Have you already tried turning Aero completely off?

/Nathan

I am not running aero and I never was, as home basic does not have it.

The only way I can avoid the slowdown is to disable the fancy menu vista has ( start menu is round ).

any idea ? ;) ( I kinda like my start menu the way it is )

also, for now how do I tell blender to start with a given width and height, as that would be a good temporary fix.

cheers
nl

One Game at a time-

stiv

Postby stiv » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:11 am

neighborlee wrote:The only way I can avoid the slowdown is to disable the fancy menu vista has ( start menu is round ).

Blender or a round start menu - life is full of hard choices.

Run blender from the command line as
blender -h
to see the options for setting window size and such.

neighborlee

Postby neighborlee » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:33 am

stiv wrote:
neighborlee wrote:The only way I can avoid the slowdown is to disable the fancy menu vista has ( start menu is round ).

Blender or a round start menu - life is full of hard choices.

Run blender from the command line as
blender -h
to see the options for setting window size and such.

I'm sorry to hear that your unable to solve this delima for supported vista users, and look forward to a speedy resolution .

Ill try your other solution which is precisely what I was after.

Thanks for the generous help of course ;)

cheers
nl

One Game at a time-

Return to “Interface & Tools”