Who's Working on Texture Painting?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Jeremy Ray

Who's Working on Texture Painting?

Postby Jeremy Ray » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:43 am

I'd like to help. I'm not a programmer but I can provide feedback on the functionality aspect. I'd be making heavy use of texture painting if a few problems were fixed.

brecht_

Postby brecht_ » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:32 am

That would be me. I'm aware of quite a few issues, but feedback is always welcome. Just post here what problems you found.

kitsu

Postby kitsu » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:47 pm

It's too cool and useful, now I spend all day using Blender instead of working :wink:

I haven't had any problems, besides wanting more features. Two things that would help me out (maybe others too?) are layer support and being able to paint image masks/alpha. By layer support I don't mean just that Blender can open them, but that there is some meaningful way to interact with them in the image editor. Stacking order, transparency, and blend mode are the only things I would be looking for in a layer editor...

Painting in an images alpha channel may work right now? Blender was acting unstable the last time I tried it and it crashed before I got anywhere :roll:

MBX

Postby MBX » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:09 pm

make better than bodypaint ;)

Jeremy Ray

Postby Jeremy Ray » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:12 pm

brecht_ - I'm really excited about the texture paint feature. I'm working on a project to make a Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within type movie with Blender -

www.extinctionlevelevent.com

I'm getting killed on UV's. With texture paint I can run the Archimap UV plugin and paint texture maps straight in Blender. I can probably do it now, with more difficulty. Let me throw a few ideas at you. I think I can come up with workarounds for many of these, but let me start by throwing them out and then I'll work on prioritizing them.

Here's what I'm working on painting -

If I could, I would do this with an 8192 X 8192 px texture, and begin the painting process with a similiarly sized texture brush. It looks like the current useable size limit for textures is 1024X1024, and for texture brushes is 256 X 256.

I can use multiple maps and work around the resolution problem, but the process would be so much faster if I could use one.

Undo - Is there an option to set this at more than one level? I have Pshop set for 50 levels of undo. Brush strokes eat it up fast.

Loading brushes - how about a seperate brush library that loads with Blender, instead of having to build the library from scratch for each file?

I can work around this by creating an empty .blend with my brushes in it, and starting new models in the brush .blend or importing old ones into it. This one's a low priority for me.

An eyedropper tool would be great.

A brush palette box would be cool. Picking them from the drop down menu is slow and it's easier to choose these things visually then by a name. I've got many dirt brushes and naming them is not easy.

That's a pretty good start. My personal priorities would be 1) undo 2) bigger texture sizes 3) eyedropper 4) brush palette 5) loading brushes with Blender when it starts.

brecht_

Postby brecht_ » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:22 pm

Jeremy Ray wrote:If I could, I would do this with an 8192 X 8192 px texture, and begin the painting process with a similiarly sized texture brush. It looks like the current useable size limit for textures is 1024X1024, and for texture brushes is 256 X 256.

In my experience 2048x2048 works fine, doesn't matter if I use texture brushes. I can't test bigger sizes because that's the maximum texture size supported by my graphics card. Not sure why it isn't fast for you, but remember that you have to use sizes that are a power of two, i.e. 2000x2000 will be slow, while 2048x2048 should be fast.

Undo - Is there an option to set this at more than one level? I have Pshop set for 50 levels of undo. Brush strokes eat it up fast.

That's high on the todo list, yup.

Loading brushes - how about a seperate brush library that loads with Blender, instead of having to build the library from scratch for each file?

Yeah, we need a better system for working with libraries generally. A nice interface for browsing materials, models, .. . Not something I intend to work on personally at the moment though.

An eyedropper tool would be great.

Isn't that what the right mouse button does?

A brush palette box would be cool. Picking them from the drop down menu is slow and it's easier to choose these things visually then by a name. I've got many dirt brushes and naming them is not easy.

Right, we definitely need a better way to pick brushes. Will probably add another panel for that.

LetterRip

Postby LetterRip » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:40 pm

after 2.43 elubies image browsing code will be integrated, that should work good for brush selection and related stuff.

LetterRip

Jeremy Ray

Postby Jeremy Ray » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:14 am

brecht_ - What video card do you have? It would save me hours of time if I didn't have to use so many seperate textures.

How much does system RAM effect texture painting?

I understand the power of 2 thing, but apparently my card's got my limited to 1024 textures either way. If I can get up to 4K textures with a new card, I'll upgrade.

I've got my brushes set up in an otherwise blank file now. I can work with it.

I found the eyedropper tool earlier. One problem here - when sampling in the 3D window, the eyedropper tool returns the shaded pixel value, instead of the value painted on the map. Can you change it so the eyedropper returns the value from the texture map instead of the displayed value?

A seperate panel for brush previews would be the thing. Outlining the brush in the 3D viewport and image viewer would be great too, though I'm doing better without it then I would have thought.

I'm ready to sit down and spend a few hours painting. I'll let you know what else I come up with. Thanks for your response!

Jeremy Ray

Postby Jeremy Ray » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:09 am

O.K, found a priority higher than undo. Color shouldn't be tied to the brush, it should be it's own seperate entity. Change brushes, color stays the same.

It'd be better if the color picker would stay open, sitting in it's own panel. I really dig the triangular style color picker. That would be so fast to use.

Jeremy Ray

Postby Jeremy Ray » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:55 am

Here's another biggie - all brushes put down color+black edges (except the simple round brush). This is the biggest problem of all, it is very hard to paint with this black getting in there.

Well, that's enough griping for tonight :lol: Hopefully you are not too sick of me yet. :P

kitsu

Postby kitsu » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:31 pm

I would think that the black in the texture brushes was coming from the gradient used in the texture. In the materials>texture window edit the textures color ramp and change the black key to your canvas color.

Remember also that even if you have a key set to 100% transparent its color will still show as it approaches another key that is not transparent!

Jeremy Ray

Postby Jeremy Ray » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:29 pm

Cool beans! Procedural textures work great if given a colorband with all colors set to white!

I'll write a tutorial for the Blender manual on brush set-up, this is a little complicated.

Have you got any ideas for fixing the image texture brush? Can texture paint use an alpha channel on an image brush? I've been using "Calc Alpha." I couldn't get a real alpha to work before, but I'll try again. I think I know where I may have went wrong . . .

Regarding the color picker, if the current one could be made to stay open in it's own box, it would solve 80% of the problem with the color being tied to the brush, and time lost accessing the picker.

edit _________________

Got rid of the black on texture brushes by using an all-white png with alpha channel.

My only remaining issue with brushes is size. Is there a way to crank up the size on the procedurals? Size=200 is too small.

womanonfire

Postby womanonfire » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:33 pm

Is multiple undo for texture paint going to make it into 2.46 ??
Would be really really nice ;) its a big issue!

Return to “Interface & Tools”