Shadowmaps, DupliVerts and Rendering

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ideasman

Shadowmaps, DupliVerts and Rendering

Postby ideasman » Sat May 03, 2003 9:13 am

I have been working on a project for school, we have lightwave 7.5 but I decieded to use blender since I like python and have had a play with it in the past.

Visit my project page at...
home.pacific.net.au/~cpbarton/

Anyway, I have struck some problems with using blender for complex scenes, The first is that the shadowbuff's max res is 2560x2560, This is heaps for a small scene, but I am going to have many buildings and zoom in on areas where the shadows will look pixmappy. (can be set to 5120 in tuhopuu)

The second problem is that each shadow map takes up memory- RAM, which means that you can't use too many light in your scene because of hardware.

The third is related to the second, this is that blender will send a 'lamp overflow' error the the console if many lights are being used, I have gone tests and the result is that some of the lights in a scene will randomly not render.

I am able to work arount these problems by splitting the lights up into layers and rendering my scene with with each set of lights, then adding murging them togather using additive blending.
I was thinking that blender could do the same thing behind the scenes since this would fix the 2nd and 3rd problem I am having.

Has anyone else had these problems, If so how did you deal with them?

ThrashDog6

Hrrm...

Postby ThrashDog6 » Sat May 03, 2003 9:52 pm

Try parenting a few lights up to your camera,so they follow its motions. be sure that they cover the camera's entire perspective. Then, when the camera moves around the scene, the lights will follow. Unfortunately, if you pan the camera around, this won't work (look mommy! The sun is moving all over the sky!!). Instead, you can have the camera track and Empty. Parent the lights to the empty, and use Pythin to script them up to close in and move away from the empty as you change the zoom level of the camera.

:?:

alltaken

Postby alltaken » Sun May 04, 2003 3:40 pm

i actually just asked these two questions!!

if you are using Linux your solution is much easier than for windows.

i ahev hit major problems with Buff size, and lamp limit too.

heres the link to my thread and there is an EASY solution for the lamps, but its harder for the buf size.

hope it helps

alltaken

LINK--------> http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... pic&t=1309

Return to “Rendering”