Leagel issues with elephants dream

Discussions and feedback around the Open Projects such as Orange (Elephants Dream), Peach (Big Buck Bunny), Apricot (Yo Frankie!)...

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

linuksamiko

Leagel issues with elephants dream

Postby linuksamiko » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:29 pm

Right know I'm not quite sure about the legal issues with the audio files of Elephants Dream. On the homepage it say something like "EVERYTHING can be copied an changed as you like" but I read something about the audio files that this is not possible and that the music would be under a no-derive license. But except of a blog-answere I haven't found anything about the audio files being not allowed to be changed.
Right know I'm starting a project to translate ED in different languages and put it together on one DVD but if it's true that the audio files aren't allowed to be changed that wouldn't be possible. The fact that you can only download the raw audio-files with the voices indicates that it's really forbidden to change anything about the audio files. Right know I'm using the lousy ac3-no-voices compilation. The fact that there is already a germen version for HD-DVD I get the impression that its probably possible.

If that would be true, that it's not allowed to change the audio-files then I would say that this is really sad. One of the probably most important thing that can be changed isn't allowed to change. And if so I would recomend to change it or at least to think about releasing Peach under a better licence (when it's comming out.

So pleas can somebody tell me how this works, I like to finisch this work.

Jan Morgenstern

Re: Leagel issues with elephants dream

Postby Jan Morgenstern » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:19 pm

linuksamiko wrote:Right know I'm not quite sure about the legal issues with the audio files of Elephants Dream. On the homepage it say something like "EVERYTHING can be copied an changed as you like" but I read something about the audio files that this is not possible and that the music would be under a no-derive license. But except of a blog-answere I haven't found anything about the audio files being not allowed to be changed.

Only the isolated music score has a no-derivates, non-commercial license. The complete audio mix of the movie, as well as the no-dialogue dubbing mix that we've posted here, are covered by the same CC-BY license as the movie itself and thus can be tweaked to your heart's content.

HTH,
jan

linuksamiko

Very good

Postby linuksamiko » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:53 pm

Thanks for the answer. I downloaded the ac3-file from the link you sent. Is there also a FLAC-Version of this? I'm just asking because I have found some FLACs but they include the voices so it is not very useful for a translation.
If not I the ac3 will do the job.

Now that I know we can "mess around" with the ac3-Stuff I guess there will be a new (spoken) translation at the end of December including at least Esperanto and hopefully some other languages.

I hope you provide also a "Karaoke"-Version for Peach. I'm really looking forward to that film.

Return to “Blender Open Projects”