Problems with normals during remove doubles

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Problems with normals during remove doubles

Postby BLACKSTONE 3D STUDIOS » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:43 pm

hi, I use david laser scanner, import .obj from there, fill the holes and overlaping stuff with remove doubles. The problem is, with so many vertex points the remove double func flips some normals. In double sided modus(sadly blender standard) I didn't recognize while 500h of work that when I load the blender result in a cullfaced engine ---> I have 10000 of holes again.
---->please make a new function<--- select(normal inside or outside) . So we can flip it after selection and I can finish my project. Select by similiar normal didn't work for my use.
thanks a lot

edited for non-capslock by a friendly admin.
Note: don't use capslock throughout your messages.

Postby LetterRip » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:39 am

Remove doubles is probably the wrong choices - use the decimate modifier instead.

Postby Caronte » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:21 pm

Ctrl+N = recalculate all normals to outside
Ctrl+Shift+N = recalculate all normals to inside
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"

thanks to give me hope!

Postby BLACKSTONE 3D STUDIOS » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:29 pm

thanks for the hint letter rip, i was on wiki reading abaut what u said because in my 500h of blender studies, i never saw this function even if i tried every button i found . is it in the 2.45 anywere? i try it, smells like victory.

and for you caronte, i can only say, try to beatify a mesh that was scanned with such a home made triangulation scanner. when the normals flip randomly by the bad removedouble way, you can try recalculate normal as long as you want. (the only switch from bad to more bad) My model is a sort of artfull raped Tracktor, it must be in one piece, has a lot of curves and 2 thubes go trough, one simbols the window and the other is for the heck Axis.
All that has to be then in a "only" cullfaced engine.

before i forgot, thank you frendly admin for helping me this way, i had not the time to read the rules. I play the game with no chance to win. (Im a stand alone game programmer, and 3D tools are not my thing. so i dont waste time with geting help)

Return to “Interface & Tools”