collision bug?

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

collision bug?

Postby verence » Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:16 pm

even in a very simple environment, my player (actor) sometimes passes through walls. is there a bug in the engine (2.25) ?

even when it is a VERY simple setting (player object, for testing just a cube) inside a big cube (yes i inverted the normals), the player can easily get out of the cube. i think i missed something or this problem is very common, but i need to know a workaround, cos how to do a walk through when you fall out of the world :mrgreen: ?

Postby z3r0_d » Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:41 pm

are you using dLoc on your motion actuators on your player object?

It seems to be the most common error that leads to passing through walls.

---- or ---
each face your wall consists of must have the collision flag set (enter face select mode with the fkey, select all of your faces, go to the paint buttons, press the collision button, press copy drawmode, exit face mode with fkey

is your player moving slow enough? When objects move really fast, each frame, they are likely to pass through walls. If your framerate is slow enough that your object travels further than the diamater of it's bounding sphere on each frame, you may start seeing problems with objects passing through walls.

Postby verence » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:23 pm

yep, i am using dloc, what is wrong with that?

and yep, i know about this collision flag thingy (even when my post count is low, i am not that kind of rooky... 8) ).

greetz, verence

Postby teachtech » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:56 pm

DLOC is a dynamic location change which means that the object is just jumping from one location to another. It can miss the wall entirely. Use the force buttons instead to move the object. This will cause the object to be "pushed" into the wall and cause a reaction. Good Luck!

Postby Saluk » Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:13 pm

Be wary that force can break collisions as well if you make it too large.

Return to “Interactive 3d”