File Manager/ Version control

Discussions and feedback around the Open Projects such as Orange (Elephants Dream), Peach (Big Buck Bunny), Apricot (Yo Frankie!)...

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

File Manager/ Version control

Postby noazark » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:21 pm

I am looking for the best way to manage my files/folders created while using blender. I go threw numerous files every day, and need a way to log versions along with the changes made and such. I may decide to write my own software for this, but I wanted to see what the community had first. I am not worried about the openness of the product, just as long as it gets the job done.

i would especially like to know how the Peach team manages file versions.

thank you.

Postby aligorith » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:46 pm

There are numerous version-control packages already available online (i.e. as OpenSource projects).

Peach and the Blender Source Code both use SVN (subversion) for version control. On Windows, there's the excellent TortoiseSVN shell-extension which provides a nice way to use it. It also works on Linux and Mac. IIRC, the svn-server must run on a separate server though...

Another one of the popular version-control packages is GIT. This is mostly geared towards Linux platforms, although it is possible to run it on Windows (I'm not sure about Macs).

Postby secundar » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:42 pm

Hopefully someone at Peach can update us all with a blog post on how SVN fits with their production pipeline. I remember the Orange team doing this and the info was eye-opening. Perhaps Apricot has a similar setup.

Postby LetterRip » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:36 pm

There was a post mentioning that they were going to copy the plumiferos layout, it might have been an email to the mailing list or possibly a peach blog post, don't recall which.

Return to “Blender Open Projects”