Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon SpaceNavigator 3D Connexion & Blender 2.5 ?

mikasaari

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:02 pm
Hi,

Will there be support for SpaceNavigator 3DConnexion in Blender 2.5 ?

Tattis,
-Mika

Evil-Wax

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:59 am
stiv wrote:

[...]
3Dconnexion used to have a very restrictive and IMHO, stupid licensing agreement. It was incompatible with open source and contained a couple of clauses we were simply unwilling or unable to comply with. I have sneered at them publicly for this. This has changed remarkably.

Since they contacted us about Blender support for the Space Navigator, they changed their licensing agreement to address our concerns. They tasked one of their programmers, Ettore Pasquini, to help with the coding and technical support. They donated a number of the expensive versions of the Space Navigator to the Blender Foundation. It has been quite a turnaround.

As for the claim of Blender support, 3Dconnexion has done their part. Thanks, Ettore! The code is in one of our development branches and is freely available. Our next version (2.46) will, in all probability, include the Space Nav code. Working Blender builds with Space Navigator support are available now from user sites on the net.
[...]

I gues it will be supported soon. Smile

lopez

Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:58 am
Hi all,

Evil-Wax wrote:
stiv wrote:

[...]
As for the claim of Blender support, 3Dconnexion has done their part. Thanks, Ettore! The code is in one of our development branches and is freely available. Our next version (2.46) will, in all probability, include the Space Nav code. Working Blender builds with Space Navigator support are available now from user sites on the net.
[...]

Because official release is planned for these days it should be rather clear if 3dconnexion will be handled in 2.46. So, the question is, shall I purchase SpaceNavigator or shall I wait till 2.50 or later? Smile

Regards,

RoboticGolem

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:15 am
lopez wrote:
Hi all,

Evil-Wax wrote:
stiv wrote:

[...]
[...]

Because official release is planned for these days it should be rather clear if 3dconnexion will be handled in 2.46. So, the question is, shall I purchase SpaceNavigator or shall I wait till 2.50 or later? Smile

Regards,

It works in 2.46 now. Works great! Unless you have a linux 64bit system running the 64bit blender. Then, no dice. I've been looking around to find something about it, but no good.

Funny thing is, if I run the 32bit version of blender, the Space Navigator works, but Python doesnt. Man, the irony.

jesterKing

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:07 am
RoboticGolem wrote:
Funny thing is, if I run the 32bit version of blender, the Space Navigator works, but Python doesnt. Man, the irony.

You'll probably need to install the proper 32bit version of Python too.

/Nathan

GDP_Sabrina

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:49 pm
I use 2.46 and 2.47 with 3dconnexion on windows and linux/ubuntu. It works like a charm.

Sabrina

lopez

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:51 am
RoboticGolem wrote:
lopez wrote:
Hi all,

Evil-Wax wrote:
stiv wrote:

[...]
[...]

Regards,

It works in 2.46 now. Works great! Unless you have a linux 64bit system running the 64bit blender. Then, no dice. I've been looking around to find something about it, but no good.

If someone is still looking for the solution for 64bit linux then check this link out http://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2167

javierdl

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:05 am
Anyone knows if the same "Space Navigator plugin" that works with Blender 2.49, also work for 2.5?
I placed the "3DxNdofBlender.plug" file directly in the plugins folder as it's instructed, but it's not working Sad
I noticed the zip file extracts also various other files, which are not mentioned in the installation instructions, namely:
3dcnxplug-stdafx.h, 3dcnxplug-win.cpp, 3dcnxplug-win.h, ndof3dcnx7.vcproj, ndof3dcnx8.sln, and ndof3dcnx8.vcproj.
Just in case I tried placing them in the plugins folder too, also in the "include" folder, but still it didn't work Sad

Any ideas?

I have python 2.6.1

JDL

hike1

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:54 pm
quote3dcnxplug-stdafx.h, 3dcnxplug-win.cpp, 3dcnxplug-win.h, ndof3dcnx7.vcproj, ndof3dcnx8.sln, and ndof3dcnx8.vcproj
unquote

Those look like the source code for the plugin in Visual C# maybe,
no effect on whether it runs in Blender 2.5, doesn't for me either.

matt1980

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:42 am
javierdl wrote:
I noticed the zip file extracts also various other files, which are not mentioned in the installation instructions, namely...

Those are there in case you want/need to build the plugin. I got the mac version of those, and (after modifying the build.sh to make the ARCH x86_64 and pointing the binary path to my "stock" 2.5a2 installation) it actually compiled--much to my surprise, no header files or libs needed, it actually linked with the Blender binary, somehow.

However, it still doesn't actually do anything...I don't see anything move when I twiddle the knob, and I don't see anything new in the input preferences (don't think I'm supposed to, but I'm dying here). Running the blender binary in the terminal doesn't produce any interesting output, positive or negative.

I picked up a cheap SpacePilot and I'd LOVE to get this thing working somehow, even with the crippled 2-button driver. Anybody have any advice?

RoboticGolem

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:55 am
matt1980 wrote:
javierdl wrote:
I noticed the zip file extracts also various other files, which are not mentioned in the installation instructions, namely...

Those are there in case you want/need to build the plugin. I got the mac version of those, and (after modifying the build.sh to make the ARCH x86_64 and pointing the binary path to my "stock" 2.5a2 installation) it actually compiled--much to my surprise, no header files or libs needed, it actually linked with the Blender binary, somehow.

However, it still doesn't actually do anything...I don't see anything move when I twiddle the knob, and I don't see anything new in the input preferences (don't think I'm supposed to, but I'm dying here). Running the blender binary in the terminal doesn't produce any interesting output, positive or negative.

I picked up a cheap SpacePilot and I'd LOVE to get this thing working somehow, even with the crippled 2-button driver. Anybody have any advice?

This is where I'm at for the 2.5 release. I got it to work perfectly with 2.49, but it just doesnt seem to work with 2.5. I'm holding on to the idea that its still alpha and they just havent re-enabled support yet. *crosses fingers*

matt_e

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:03 am
Spacenavigator support will need to be re-coded for 2.5's new event system.

Shouldn't be too difficult, and there might possibly be a gsoc project to do this, but it's not done yet.

RoboticGolem

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:59 am
matt_e wrote:
Spacenavigator support will need to be re-coded for 2.5's new event system.

Shouldn't be too difficult, and there might possibly be a gsoc project to do this, but it's not done yet.

(Probably speaking out of my arse as I'm not an advanced programmer) This is the GHOST_Types.h file correct? or is that the event system that is being re-coded?

I used the GHOST_Types.h from the 2.5 alpha source to build the plugin and figured it should work.

Just wondering.

matt_e

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:03 am
No. The event system is already re-coded in blender 2.5. However it doesn't support spacenavigator yet, and adding support is more complicated than just editing ghost_types.h .

RoboticGolem

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:27 am
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll keep my fingers crossed that someone, who knows how to do this, gets it going.

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Jump to: