Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon SpaceNavigator 3D Connexion & Blender 2.5 ?

Tehrasha

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:22 am
For anyone debating on getting a 3D mouse, there are several used USB SpacePilots on eBay for $50 (buy-it-now).

The USB SpacePilot is the oldest model currently supported by 3dConnexion's driver software. And half the price of the cheapest model currently available at 3DConnexion.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any of the eBay auctions in any way.

Older models such as the Spacemouse Plus, Spaceball 4000FLX (serial device) and the Spaceball 5000 are NOT supported by 3Dconnexion any longer.

I am working with the spacenavd developers to help get many of the unsupported (cheaper) spacemice working in Blender.

martinmb

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:50 pm
Thanks everyone involved for getting 3dconnexion devices going with blender.

I have a problem though I can't pan unless I hold shift down.
Is there some setting I havn't got right? I am sure everyone else has 6 axii working. I am new to blender having just installed 2.57 then 2.59 ,win 7 64. I tried two latest 3dconnexion drivers and all the traackball/turntable zoom options I could find in the preferences. I binned all my saved settings for 3dx as well trying to get back to a default setup.

Also is zoom invert an option in the r40000 builds? then I am set. Thanks again

Tehrasha

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:49 am
martinmb wrote:
I have a problem though I can't pan unless I hold shift down.

This is normal for now. Mike Erwin says he is working on refining the interface, and free panning is one of the things on his list.

martinmb

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:08 am
Thanks for letting me know Tehrasha. Great news this is all being worked on, such a space nav fanboy here that not having it was stopping me move to Blender from my current modeller.

Jianju

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:47 pm
My only problem now is, how do I reverse the action on the device? Blender's behavior is as though you're manipulating the position of the viewer, whereas other applications I use behave as though you're manipulating the on screen object with the SpaceNavigator.

martinmb wrote:
Thanks for letting me know Tehrasha. Great news this is all being worked on, such a space nav fanboy here that not having it was stopping me move to Blender from my current modeller.

I'm with you, Martin; now that I can use my SpaceNavigator in Blender, I'm willing to get serious about learning it.

Using a 3D mouse is like going from dial-up to broadband; once you switch up, going back is a PITA.

Seriously, it's like that.

hawthorn402@btinternet.co

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:38 pm
Jianju wrote:
My only problem now is, how do I reverse the action on the device? Blender's behavior is as though you're manipulating the position of the viewer, whereas other applications I use behave as though you're manipulating the on screen object with the SpaceNavigator.

martinmb wrote:

I'm with you, Martin; now that I can use my SpaceNavigator in Blender, I'm willing to get serious about learning it.

Using a 3D mouse is like going from dial-up to broadband; once you switch up, going back is a PITA.

Seriously, it's like that.

can you tell me how to get a "space controller" to work with blender ? I have been able to configure all the buttons and they work well but the actual cap thing doesn't do anything[/quote]

Tehrasha

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:36 pm
hawthorn402@btinternet.co wrote:
can you tell me how to get a "space controller" to work with blender ? I have been able to configure all the buttons and they work well but the actual cap thing doesn't do anything

Which controller, and which version of Blender?

hawthorn402@btinternet.co

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:55 pm
Tehrasha wrote:
hawthorn402@btinternet.co wrote:
can you tell me how to get a "space controller" to work with blender ? I have been able to configure all the buttons and they work well but the actual cap thing doesn't do anything

Which controller, and which version of Blender?

It is called Space controller from www.spacecontroller.com and i am using 2.59 r40371m
thanks

stiv

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:27 pm
From a quick browse of the website, it looks like a proprietary device with a windows-only driver. Unless it emulates something common, I would not expect it to work with Blender.

Neumaennl

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:31 pm
I have a SpaceOrb 360 working as 6-axis 16-button controller working in Windows 7 x64 like this.

Would it be possible to use it like one of these 3dconnexion devices?

Tehrasha

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:51 am
Neumaennl wrote:
I have a SpaceOrb 360 working as 6-axis 16-button controller working in Windows 7 x64 like this.

I would so love to get my hands on one of those to see if we could get it to work with the spacenav driver as well as we have with the old serial spacemice. (since they were made by the same company) But without having one in hand to test out, it would be near impossible to write a driver for one.

The only other driver I know of for the SpaceOrb is libOrb, but that is for linux.

There is also JayCrowes SpaceOrb forum for community support of the SpaceOrb. ( but you most likely already know about that. Smile )

Neumaennl

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:50 am
Tehrasha wrote:
Neumaennl wrote:

I would so love to get my hands on one of those to see if we could get it to work with the spacenav driver as well as we have with the old serial spacemice. (since they were made by the same company) But without having one in hand to test out, it would be near impossible to write a driver for one.

The only other driver I know of for the SpaceOrb is libOrb, but that is for linux.

There is also JayCrowes SpaceOrb forum for community support of the SpaceOrb. ( but you most likely already know about that. Smile )

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough.
I have the device working in Windows 7 after I built a hardware adapter that presents the SpaceOrb as 6-axis 16-button Joystick to Windows (or any other OS that knows the USB HID protocol). No drivers needed. I'm already using it in games.
So in general, I'm asking if a regular joystick can be used as NDOF device in Blender. My SpaceOrb with the adapter is just a special case of a joystick.

Mrke

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:58 pm
I downloaded the 2.61 RC and I'm happy to say that I can finally invert the zoom axis! yihaw!

Now I can finally give blender a spin to see if I can use it.

Is there a special forum for posting bugs, ideas and other stuff... to the developers that are working on the 3dconnexion support in Blender?
Or should I just post here?

Mrke

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:38 am
Axes invert and that is good but now, I notice one more thing: one really shouldn't be forced to hold the shift key to pan, it kinda beats the purpose of the device.

After holding shift key thing is fixed, It would be cool to have a local mode similar to zbrush where you can orbit the point where you last edited, or select manually a point on the object to orbit around, or just rotate around the point that the mouse is hovering over (example of this can be seen in 3D coat), or maybe automatically chose the closest point of the selected object?. This can be really useful for working very close to the object surface while pushing and pulling on the vertexes or sculpting.

But the main annoyance is the shift key thing, can't it be disabled somewhere?

Batty

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:55 am
Hi, I'm new to Blender 3D, coming from Maya/Softimage/Mudbox...and Blender does make me curious considering it for our Production fecility. But as it is said here - our SpaceNavs don't work quite as it used to in Maya/Softimage/Max 3D, which makes me hesitate.
This is, what happened:

By Holding the Shiftkey it pans up down/left right/forward back
-but there's no cam rotation possible. (+ no Hand free for Graphic Tablet)
...without shift key
-there's no pan up down/left right possible.

Will this be solved somewhere soon, sorry for asking like this, but it's because in our Studio we are on a tight shedule and the need to decide for a new and better Software solution must be solved in about two weeks. Then a big project will start and we can't change the software anymore.

I tested it with Blender 2.61 on Win7 64Bit with SpaceNavigator with installed SpaceNav Driver: newest Release (we need this for Photoshop too).

Greetings, Batty

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Jump to: