Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon SpaceNavigator 3D Connexion & Blender 2.5 ?

Tehrasha

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:30 am
Tehrasha wrote:
Now they just need to nail down the center of rotation (especially rotate on selection), and get panning to work properly.

"Agreed, panning is not intuitive. I'll fix this. Automatic rotation pivot is coming soon, so this behavior will change (hopefully for the better)." -- Mike Erwin (significant-bit)

WOOT!

Chocki

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:30 pm
2.59 RC announced with native support for 3d mouse. Going to check it now.

dickda1

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:56 am
I am infintely grateful to Mike and Polo and probably a bunch of other hardworking mostly anonymous people who got Space Navigator support installed in 2.59 RC. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks

Dick

tomkrasz

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:03 pm
YEAH!!! Finaly my Space Pilot is working Very Happy Appreciate everyone hard work on this feature. Only thing that could be changed in future is to make Pan View directly from the knob without pressing modifier key. Nevertheless AWESOME JOB Smile THANK YOU !

Meteo27

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:34 am
Is it possible to invert the zoom direction of the Space Navigator?
So when you pull it, it zooms in, and when you push you zoom out?

The "invert zoom direction"-Checkbox in the preferences window doesn't change it...

Tehrasha

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:03 am
Edit: issue resolved

Last edited by Tehrasha on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

stiv

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:17 pm
Deleted. Names or links are often helpful.
Thanks!

-- moderator.

Tehrasha

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:26 pm
Edit: Issue resolved.

Last edited by Tehrasha on Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rainer

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:32 pm
Hi,

i uploaded a little patch to the blender patch tracker ([1]) which adds the possibility to invert each axis individually in orbit and pan mode. Currently i only added it for "trackball" and not "turntable" mode.
For me while in orbit or pan mode always one axis was going in the wrong direction. And the previous invert option only inverted all three axes. So i wrote this little patch to overcome this problem. I hope that it will get into trunk soon. Smile

Ciao,
Rainer

[1] http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=28415&group_id=9&atid=127

z00m1n

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:57 pm
i am running the latest version of blender (2.59.2 / r39967M) on my macbook pro with a space navigator (standard, not the laptop version) and the 10.0.4 beta version of 3dxware from 3dconnexion (reply if you're interested and i'll post some details and links and stuff).

space navigator works out of the box and feels really tight and snappy.

GREAT STUFF!! WELL DONE GUYS! Smile

the axis (axis' ? axisses ? axii ?) of movement feel wrong to me and so far, i haven't found a way to correct that, but from all i can tell from browsing the forums, support for the SN is pretty new, so there's probably a good chance that these details get ironed out.

@rainer: i applied your patches and rebuilt. when i click the left button on the SN, i see the new entries in the context menu, but no matter how many of them and which ones i enable, nothing seems to change.

however, i don't see anything change either when i en or disable any of the 'invert zoom direction' or 'invert wheel zoom direction' checkboxes in the user / input preferences or if i en or disable helicopter mode or 'lock horizon' or any other of the context menu switches...

Rainer

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:10 pm
z00m1n wrote:

the axis (axis' ? axisses ? axii ?) of movement feel wrong to me and so far, i haven't found a way to correct that, but from all i can tell from browsing the forums, support for the SN is pretty new, so there's probably a good chance that these details get ironed out.

That's why i created the patch for me. Smile

z00m1n wrote:

@rainer: i applied your patches and rebuilt. when i click the left button on the SN, i see the new entries in the context menu, but no matter how many of them and which ones i enable, nothing seems to change.

however, i don't see anything change either when i en or disable any of the 'invert zoom direction' or 'invert wheel zoom direction' checkboxes in the user / input preferences or if i en or disable helicopter mode or 'lock horizon' or any other of the context menu switches...

I first tried my spacenavigator with blender without any 3dconnexion software installed and it works great (except the wrong directions). As soon as i install the 3dxware the axis behave strange in blender. So i deinstalled it and it was fine again.

The invert zoom direction in the user preferences seems to have no connection to the 3d mouse.

Are you sure the patch applied correctly and you did a rebuild after that?
I tried it again and it works correct for me.
Which svn version did you try it with?

When you insert a breakpoint in view3d_edit.c at line ~1023 you can see all three new invert options for the orbit mode (invert_roll, invert_tilt, invert_rot). When you enable one of these checkboxes in the spacenav menu it should be reflected here. If nothing changes here then something is wrong.

Ciao,
Rainer

z00m1n

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:01 am
Rainer wrote:
I first tried my spacenavigator with blender without any 3dconnexion software installed and it works great (except the wrong directions). As soon as i install the 3dxware the axis behave strange in blender. So i deinstalled it and it was fine again.

when i uninstall 3dxware, the SN doesn't do anything at all - and why would it ? it does need some drivers to work, doesn't it ?!? would be cool if it was class compatible, but i guess it's too special for that.

Rainer wrote:
Are you sure the patch applied correctly and you did a rebuild after that? Which svn version did you try it with?

well, i've followed http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Mac for the base build using scons, then updated, applied the patch and rebuilt. looked clean to me and i do see the new menu entries, so i do think i have applied the patch correctly.

here's what i did:

Code:
host:~ user$ cd ~/Projects/Blender

host:Blender user$ # update source code
host:Blender user$ svn up blender
  [...]
Updated external to revision 2311.

Updated to revision 39988.

host:Blender user$ svn up lib/darwin-9.x.universal/
  [...]
At revision 39988.

host:Blender user$ # download the patch
host:Blender user$ curl --create-dirs --output patch/ndof-free-invert_v2.diff http://projects.blender.org/tracker/download.php/9/127/28415/17544/ndof-free-invert_v2.diff
  [...]

host:blender user$ # apply patch
host:Blender user$ cd blender
host:blender user$ patch -p0 --backup < ../patch/ndof-free-invert_v2.diff
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file release/scripts/startup/bl_ui/space_userpref.py
patching file source/blender/editors/space_view3d/view3d_edit.c
patching file source/blender/makesdna/DNA_userdef_types.h
patching file source/blender/makesrna/intern/rna_userdef.c

host:blender user$ # rebuild
host:blender user$ python scons/scons.py -j 2
  [...]

host:blender user$ # run the newly built app
host:blender user$ open ../install/darwin/blender.app

on a sidenote, when i try to build the app without 3dxware installed, a message
Code:
3D_CONNEXION_CLIENT_LIBRARY not found, disabling WITH_BF_3DMOUSE
appears pretty early on in the build log output.

Rainer wrote:
When you insert a breakpoint in view3d_edit.c at line ~1023 you can see all three new invert options for the orbit mode (invert_roll, invert_tilt, invert_rot). When you enable one of these checkboxes in the spacenav menu it should be reflected here. If nothing changes here then something is wrong.

i might try that at some stage, but for the moment i'm stalled as someone broke the build:

Code:

Compiling ==> 'SceneExporter.cpp'
In file included from source/blender/collada/SceneExporter.h:51,
                 from source/blender/collada/SceneExporter.cpp:29:
source/blender/blenlib/BLI_path_util.h:107: error: ...
  [...]
scons: building terminated because of errors.

this happened today when i walked through the steps again for the purpose of documenting them here. the build was ok yesterday, but i don't know what svn revision that was.

z00m1n

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:54 am
oh great. did i use any keywords in my post to attract this forum spam pest ?

@rainer: i take it the canonical way to debug blender under mac osx is xcode and in order to build for that, i need to generate configuration files with cmake, correct ? i tried using cmake before, but it failed so miserably (log see http://dpaste.com/610321) that i gave up pretty quickly and went for the path of less resistance with scons.

what os are you on ? and what timezone are you in ? guess i'll take this to irc://irc.freenode.net/#blendercoders and irc://irc.freenode.net/#cmake, so maybe see you there...

Rainer

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:19 am
z00m1n wrote:
Rainer wrote:

when i uninstall 3dxware, the SN doesn't do anything at all - and why would it ? it does need some drivers to work, doesn't it ?!? would be cool if it was class compatible, but i guess it's too special for that.

I also wondered why it worked. But in windows it seems that the 3d mouse is recognized as a usb hid device. This seems to be enough to work with blender because i have no additional driver installed. But i can't use the 3d mouse with ANY other application except blender. Wink

z00m1n wrote:
Rainer wrote:
Are you sure the patch applied correctly and you did a rebuild after that? Which svn version did you try it with?

well, i've followed http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Mac for the base build using scons, then updated, applied the patch and rebuilt. looked clean to me and i do see the new menu entries, so i do think i have applied the patch correctly.

When you see the new menu entries it seems to be applied correctly.

z00m1n wrote:
on a sidenote, when i try to build the app without 3dxware installed, a message
Code:
3D_CONNEXION_CLIENT_LIBRARY not found, disabling WITH_BF_3DMOUSE
appears pretty early on in the build log output.

That's interesting. I can compile it without any 3dxware installed without problems and my 3d mouse works in blender.

z00m1n wrote:
i might try that at some stage, but for the moment i'm stalled as someone broke the build:

Code:

Compiling ==> 'SceneExporter.cpp'
In file included from source/blender/collada/SceneExporter.h:51,
                 from source/blender/collada/SceneExporter.cpp:29:
source/blender/blenlib/BLI_path_util.h:107: error: ...
  [...]
scons: building terminated because of errors.

this happened today when i walked through the steps again for the purpose of documenting them here. the build was ok yesterday, but i don't know what svn revision that was.

Today i checked out the latest version (r40000) and it compiled without any errors. But i never included the collada importer because i had many problems when compiling with it.

I use cmake-gui for setup which is the easier way for me than using scons on commandline. Windows is not the best choice for commandline programms. And cmake-gui works quite flawless for setting the project up. For compilation i use visual studio 2008.

I think the best way to find the problem why it isn't working is to debug the corresponding lines in the code which i mentioned.

My timezone is UTC+1 and yours?
I will reside in #blendercoders as Fox_Muldr and maybe we see each other there at a time when we both are awake. Smile

Ciao,
Rainer

Rainer

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:39 am
Just to notice you all. My patch is now in blender trunk with commit r40004 included. Smile

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Jump to: