Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Blender GUI API

Zaphod

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:59 am
Hi guys! I've started using blender a couple of weeks ago... It rocks!!!!
As a C/C++ student I would like to ask you how can I make my apps using blender's gui Elements like those awsome buttons, etc...? What files, libs do I need to get?

Cheers

Miguel Figueiredo

Pjotr

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:19 am
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=33&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

This was in the news some time ago maybe it will help

Zaphod

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:18 am
Yes, I've made the tutorial and it is a very interesting API but it does not build GUI elements; like buttons it just manages windows and events...
Browsing trough the ghost source code I didn't find anything concerning GUI programming in the way I asked....

Cheers

Miguel Figueiredo

voidptr

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:51 am
No your right. GHOST does not have any GUI elements. We have talked about this in the GHOST mailing list but have not come to an agreement. If I remember correctly the last outcome was that we would all go back and think about it more.

The BMF_font system was rolled into GHOST & the I18N looks like it maybe as well. There was some basic work done on a menu system but I don't think that this made it into the current version.

Plus I'm not sure that if GHOST started adding a GUI layer that it would end up like Blender. Personally there are a couple of things I would not add & a few that I would improve, but that's my personal opinion not the GHOST teams.

You can also add in the fact that Blenders GUI system is quite 'C' & GHOST is 'C++' with a 'C' wrapper for backwards compatibility.

Of course nothings stopping you from coming into the GHOST maillist & talking about it some more. Smile

voidptr

Zaphod

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:38 am
Ok, now we know that GHOST does not implement gui elements and that possibility is in discussion... right? Wink
But I still don't know what do I need to do to use the gui elements that are actually being used in blender... Sad
I hope that blender is modular enough so that I can reuse that part of the program..

Cheers

Miguel Figueiredo

voidptr

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:16 am
Quote:
Ok, now we know that GHOST does not implement gui elements and that possibility is in discussion... right?

Right

Quote:
I hope that blender is modular enough so that I can reuse that part of the program..

I can sadly say ... well ... not really. But I would welcome any effort to clean it up.

There have been emails about the windowing structure in Blender, but I can't find them right now. My best advice, grab the source and start some minor surgery in a sandbox. Then let us all know how it went Smile Oh and maybe throw some documentation in while your in there Wink

voidptr

Zaphod

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:06 pm
Oh well, I guess this is going to be a dauntig task... Crying or Very sad
I'll see what I can do....

Are you guys thinking in changing the blender API do OO? With no OO wrappers? I think this would be great.... Because things like theese would be very easy to solve if blender was structured in an OO fashion..,.

Cheers

Miguel Figueiredo

Zaphod

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:21 pm
I've just been browsing the blender sourcer Wink
I gotta tell you what a mess! This is a really tricky one. I'm also
more confortable with the OO aproach but maybe that's why I find the sources so confusing...

Cheers

Miguel Figueiredo

voidptr

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:31 pm
Oh, I thiink the blender source is quite OO, but being done in a non-oo based language hides it.

And I think blender was grown over the last few years of it's life. I think the main task right now it to prune back the overgrowth to let the structure shine through.

voidptr

Zaphod

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:17 pm
I'll have to disagree on that one... You, for sure, know blender better than I but I've been studying the sources and somehow It has disapointed me. Especially the GUI elements "part" wich is the one I'me more interested in.
The fact that to reuse the gui componets will probably be a cumbersome task shows that even that the source "philosofy" is OO the implementation is quite far from being OO.
As a user I find blender an exelent product, it is a beautifull piece of software but as a developer I've found that blender needs and deserves some revision...
I'm not pointing my finger to annyone, the code works, it has great performance score and no major bugs...
But the time is for open source and for a new programmer who is interested in contibuting to the project understanding the source code is really a daunting task... Embarassed

I underline the document written by daniel dunbal at http://zuster.org/ it points some "quirks" in the GUI design of blender

Cheers

Miguel Figueiredo

Jump to: