Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon AAARRRGH!!! So close.

cmccad

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:33 am
Hello all!

When compiling using the auto* tools, I get the following:

Code:

gcc -g -O2 -funsigned-char -o blender  -L/usr/local/lib/python2.2/config source/.libs/libblender_source.al intern/bsp/.libs/libblender_BSP.al

intern/decimation/.libs/libblender_LOD.al intern/ghost/.libs/libblender_GHOST.al intern/string/.libs/libblender_STR.al

intern/guardedalloc/.libs/libblender_guardedalloc.al intern/bmfont/.libs/libblender_BMF.al intern/container/.libs/libblender_CTR.al

intern/memutil/.libs/libblender_MEM.al intern/keymaker/.libs/libblender_belgium.al intern/iksolver/.libs/libblender_IK.al

intern/moto/.libs/libblender_MT.al intern/python/frozen/libfrozen.a -lpython2.2 -lXxf86dga -lGLU -lGL -lX11 -lXext -lutil /usr/lib/libjpeg.so -lpng

-lcrypto -lssl -lpthread -ldl -lstdc++ -lz
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXxf86dga
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [blender] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/dev/bf-blender/blender/test-compile'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dev/bf-blender/blender/test-compile'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I ran

./bootstrap
mkdir test-compile
cd test-compile
../configure
make

and got this message. I found a libXxf86dga.a in /usr/X11R6/lib/

There were also alot of

ImportError: 'No module named _Blender'

messages, along with some

ImportError: 'No module named utils'
ImportError: 'No module named tess'
ImportError: 'No module named mxTextTools'
ImportError: 'No module named pprint'
ImportError: 'No module named org'
ImportError: 'No module named lineariser4'
ImportError: 'No module named Blender.Get'

messages during the

/usr/local/bin/python -S -O

command, but since the compile didn't stop here, I figured it didn't matter a whole lot.

I am compiling on Debian 3.0 Linux, with a 1800 AMD processor with 256MB ram.

What do I need to do?

Thank you for your time.
Casey

alien-xmp

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:10 pm
Are you using version 2.26 or CVS? There have been some recent auto* patches in CVS.

cmccad

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:34 pm
Yes (I knew I forgot to mention something Embarassed).

I downloaded the daily CVS tarball from yesterday, and tinderbox is all green for linux, so blender is working on other linux machines. That's why it is so frustrating to error out on the last step. Mad

Casey

cmccad

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:45 pm
Hello all.

I googled Xxf86dga, and found that other projects have had trouble with this library being static when it needs to be shared. I will try making it a shared object library when I get home tonight by using:

ld --whole-archive -shared -o libXxf86dga.so libXxf86dga.a

Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Casey

SirDude

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:37 pm
If that doesn't work you can modify the Makefiles

replace -lXxf86dga
With the full path to the .a
(example: /usr/local/lib/libXxf86dga.a)

sgefant

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:38 am
This has been fixed in CVS. Tomorrow's snapshot should compile fine for you, as it no longer links against libXxf86dga.

sgefant

cmccad

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:56 pm
Thank you all for your help, but I'm afraid that now it fails trying to link "-lX11". X11 exists on my system both as libX11.a and libX11.so

Grrr...

I'm thinking that there is some problem with my environment, maybe a path issue (any ideas would be MUCH appreciated) but I haven't had much of a chance to poke around yet (Oh well, that's what weekends are for, right? Wink ).

Hopefully I'll figure it out sooner or later (please please please be sooner than later Confused )
Casey

alien-xmp

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:53 am
Could you post a link to your config.log?

cmccad

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:56 am
Got it to compile!! Very Happy

What I did was this:

I ran ./bootstrap in the blender directory, and then ../blender/configure in a new directory called build.

The Makefile in the build directory contained the line:

X_LIBS = /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/X11R6/lib

This is where the libX11.a and libX11.so are located (why is the dir repeated twice?). I greped the Makefile, and this is the only place X_LIBS shows up. So I tacked $(X_LIBS) onto the end of the "LIBS = ..." line, and voila!! blender compiles! Very Happy

There is also another line right above the X_LIBS line:

X_CFLAGS = /usr/X11R6/include /usr/X11R6/include

which is not used anywhere else, but I guess this is not need for the compile (at least on my machine).

Anyhow, now that I've got it compiled, I just need to get glx working on my machine Mad , THEN I can run blender (at last!).

Thanks for all your help!
Casey

P.S.
alien-xmp: are you still interested in the config.log? If yes, I'll upload and post a link when I get home.

alien-xmp

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:46 am
I think it might come down to this:
Quote:
I ran ./bootstrap in the blender directory, and then ../blender/configure in a new directory called build.

Doesn't gcc's build instructions say something about it not working in a sub directory of the main tree? If so, that might apply here.

X_LIBS isn't referenced anywhere in my Makefile either, libtool just finds it.

cmccad

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:36 am
Quote:

Doesn't gcc's build instructions say something about it not working in a sub directory of the main tree? If so, that might apply here.

Dunno, but it *did* compile, so the problem doesn't seem to be in gcc. I think the problem is in either the ./bootstrap or the ../blender/configure step. configure finds the libraries, it just neglects to put path into the gcc command. Once I put the path in by hand, gcc does its job.

But, since I don't know the auto* tools, I can't say for sure Smile

Quote:

X_LIBS isn't referenced anywhere in my Makefile either, libtool just finds it.

Hmm, I don't know what the difference is between your system's configuration and mine, so I can't say why mine doesn't work the same way. Maybe there is some environemt variable that is missing from my config? Or maybe just an extra entry in the PATH variable? Who knows? Who cares? Blender compiles for me now!!! Very Happy

Later,
Casey

Michel

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:55 am
cmccad wrote:
Got it to compile!! Very Happy

What I did was this:

The Makefile in the build directory contained the line:

X_LIBS = /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/X11R6/lib

Hmm, I thought I'd solved this one Confused
It's not a problem. On my system I only have one. This probably needs some more investigation if it does cause a problem.

cmccad wrote:

This is where the libX11.a and libX11.so are located (why is the dir repeated twice?). I greped the Makefile, and this is the only place X_LIBS shows up. So I tacked $(X_LIBS) onto the end of the "LIBS = ..." line, and voila!! blender compiles! Very Happy

Ai,

my fault Embarassed . I removed this one because I thought each AC_CHECK_LIB macro in the configure.ac automatically add the libs found to the LIBS variable - including the libs for X. It appears that I'm wrong on this assumption here.

I'll update cvs this evening. Thanks for the report!

With regards,
Michel

Jump to: