NLA missing last frame in 2.28

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

NLA missing last frame in 2.28

Postby malefico » Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:59 am

Well, well well, bugs keep appearing in 2.28 and 2.28a.

When converting an action to NLA strip, the last frame is lost and replaced by the armature in "rest position". If our action is 1 keyframe only, it will be lost completely.

A workaround to this is adding a frame to the NLA's strip end. If it is an action defined with a single keyframe, just avoid converting it to NLA strip. :( (can complain, at least it has a workaround)

PS: The tracker is temporarily down, that's why I'm bothering you with bugs... :oops:

Postby Hos » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:46 pm

heya malefico,

Can you provide a very simple example blend that illustrates the problem?

(i.e., an example where if I run it in 2.27 and 2.28 I'll see very different behaviors).

Postby malefico » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:14 am

Private package delivered ! :D

Postby malefico » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:00 pm

Ooops it's confirmed ! This is not new in 2.28. Same happens since 2.25, so maybe there is a reason for it :? .

Can anybody think of a good one ?

Postby ilac » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:34 pm

I use NLA extensively and never encountered this problem.

What could be happening is that your action has one keyframe one frame ahead of the rest so the action is defined by frames x to y when in actual fact if not for that misplaced keyframe, your action would have been x to y-1.

Does it happen with every action you create or is there one specific one which is causing the problem?

Another possibility is that your action strip ends on the same frame as the animation, So if your animation ends on frame X set your last actions to end on Frames X+1 or more.

Postby malefico » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:36 pm

I see your point, however it goes like this:

1- In frame 1, I add a key in the action window, now go ahead 10 frames and insert a keyframe at frame 11.
2- Deselect the action and then add it in a NLA window.
3- This strip starts in frame 1 and ends in frame 11, thus it's 11 frames long.
4- Now if you carefully move the timeline cursor till frame 10, no problem. But if you go further to frame 11 (the last frame of the strip) the armature goes "rest pos". No matter what the animation's duration is. You can see in the NLA window that the cursor has not yet come to the strip's end.
5- If the action was 1 keyframe only (at frame 1), in the NLA window it appears as a thin vertical line instead of a yellow/pink square. Plus the action is never shown in the armature.

I can't do it right now, but if you want it, I can upload the blend I sent to Hos and give you a link.

Return to “Animation”