Anit-wish list

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ghosthand

Anit-wish list

Postby ghosthand » Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:48 pm

Everyone has their wish list, well this is my anti-wish list:

1. I don't want blender to be a [Enter other 3D application here] clone:
If I want all the features that Maya or SoftImage has then I would buy those respective applications. There is no creativity or innovation in cloning.

There's one thought that I truly despise: "If you want professionals in the industry to take Blender seriously" or "In order for the industry to fully adopt Blender as a professional tool then [Enter any feature here] must be implemented. "

Realistically, Blender probably will not dominate the CG industry, ever. But that's okay with me, because I'm a hobbyist.

2. I don't want any major new tools yet.
New tools create new bugs. The volunteers are doing a great job trying to clean up the source and fixing some annoying problems. It's probably better to concentrate on that then additional problems created by additional features.

3. I don't want a built-in raytracer.
Why waste time creating a built-in raytracer when there are many other applications out there that do raytracing? Working export plug-ins are just as fine. Better would be the ability to render directly into Yafray or Aqsis from within Blender.

There are a few other things that I don't want in blender but I can't think of any more right now.

I really don't have my own wish list for Blender. I'm just interested in hearing what other people don't want in Blender

z3r0_d

Postby z3r0_d » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:26 am

persistent windows
I like the current interface with one fullscreen window that can be split up, but you don't have to worry when things overlap. When something is put on top it is temporary, something you requested, and easy to get away from (maybe too easy sometimes).

DirectX support instead of opengl.
That would make coding a nightmare
(that said directx can be (and maybe is?) used to go fullscreen with opengl doing the graphics)

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:41 pm

I'd like Blender to support both OpenGL and DirectX (at least in the windows version [but i guess i'm the only one who really wants this...]) , and maybe a fast software renderer for people with slow video cards (or none at all).

But what i would really hate to see is Blender becoming just a mix of the other major/commercial 3D apps. Blender is unique! :D

Hmmmm....let's make this list longer, like the Wishlist. :D

It's the 3VIL blender wishlist! :twisted:

Coz

Postby Coz » Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:20 pm

What I really don't want is a change in Blender's interface to something more like 3D studio, just to make it easier to newbies... it's not that I'm against a newbie-friendly interface, it's just that I don't want to see Blender lose one of the things that make it great...

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:45 pm

I remember when i tried 3ds for about 30 minutes. I hated every second of it :D

Then i went back to Blender :D
Because the interface is so great.

That's another addition to the Anti-Wishlist! Keep posting! :twisted:

Homer_S

Postby Homer_S » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:26 pm

I agree with ghosthand. Just fix the bugs that are there and get the Game Engine back up and just fix the known bugs that are associated with it. Get Blender stable as hell before any new features are added.
The only thing i wish Blender had was an undo button. But I would be willing to even wait for this (like I have a choice :roll:) just so long as everything else works the way its supposed to. JMTC.

hanzo

Postby hanzo » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:39 am

unlike you'll I'm not going to knock other 3d apps..

ghosthand: I don't want blender to be a clone of any other apps, but
modern essential tools that are in maya and max/lightwave most become
part of blender to, blender has already started in this derection..

many of us arn't hobbyist (I take blender serious), if an app is not going to
be what we need many of use don't have the time to waste. Realisticalyif
blender starts having a bunch of new and great features that make
enought artists happy, it could get a pretty big foot hold in the bizz, just
think a (not ok) but great app thats free :shock: how far can it go?..

also last but not least most artists in the world don't have enough money
to buy any of the programs that dominate the industry, luck you can just
buy it if you want it, or am i mishonderstand something?

Friday13: maybe if you tried to learn 3dmax for more then 30 mins you
would like it, personaly I know max and maya and it's dam good..

also to conclude: I want blenders bugs to be fixxed but, if theres time to
put something new in blender I say go for it the dev's are doing a dam
good job so far :twisted: and the interface is ok, but I would like and
many others would like to change the colours from time to time,

plz don't say I'm a newb I've been with blender almost all the time it has
been....

hanzo

wavk

Postby wavk » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:33 am

Most of these feature requests are very reasonable. Don't think of them as copying. Like I would like Blender to have good DOF, sss, radiosity (basicly YafRay), and I could go on and on. Don't think of it as copying from other software, most of these things are just plain obvious to have in a 3d application. It's the WAY they are implemented that defines the workflow and uniqueness of the software. But then again I don't know what kind of feature requests you're aiming on.

hanzo, I agree with you, except for the interface part. But that's mere cosmetic. I like the interface! But the buttons are just too contrastfull for my taste, makes it look more messy than it could look.

hanzo

Postby hanzo » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:25 pm

dude your so right, good DOF, sss, radiosity are totaly reasonable!
also I would like somemore animation tools to be added to the armature system, maybe bone controller (drag the foot/hand the limb fallow acordingy like in the real world) this would make it way easier to animation walking , running, fighting, and other char animations,
also Dose anybody know if the Solid game engine will be able to
work with movie rendering :D?

This new and upcomming 2.27 vertion of blender will make my day,
with the new shaders system and other functions

GameEngine I would like:

1. Parent object to sepret bone (for some reason it works in the veiw port but not in the game engine)

2. A better vertice shader (the one in blender presantly is lame)

3. Texture color depth needs to be improved

4. Partical engine

5. vertice keys for game animations

6. Solid game Engine (but thats comming)

7. new way of handling alpha texures..

8. better sound implement (that works for movie renders too) and that has a simple (but real) sound editor

9. editable interface :idea: hey like makup! on things I like :D hehe

but this is just what I want, although I know bugs are the main priority..
geess! I wish I could help out :? hey I have bad spelling I might be able to help programming..

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Thu May 01, 2003 9:40 pm

Call me ignorant, but....uh.....what's SSS? Selective SuperSampling??

wavk

Postby wavk » Fri May 02, 2003 5:27 pm

Hi Friday13, no not ignorant at all, it's SubSurface Scattering. I think you'll know what we mean now, but anyway:

http://graphics.ucsd.edu/~henrik/images/subsurf.html

Hi Hanzo, nice you agree :D

Pablosbrain

Postby Pablosbrain » Fri May 02, 2003 5:49 pm

hanzo:
I would like somemore animation tools to be added to the armature system, maybe bone controller (drag the foot/hand the limb fallow acordingy like in the real world) this would make it way easier to animation walking , running, fighting, and other char animations,

This is already possible with the current armature system and IK constraints. Works almost exactly like other bone constraint type implementations in other programs.

hanzo

Postby hanzo » Sat May 03, 2003 10:00 pm

Pablosbrain dude that was one thing!

also very important, I need it were is IK constraints ? :?: ?
:cry: how can I keep missing that cool stuff...

forcefield

Postby forcefield » Wed May 07, 2003 4:29 pm

I have to say that I had no intention of the wish list post to get so huge. And I don't like what became of the thread, so I have not even looked at it in a year.

Things I don't want in Blender:
-Clone of "X" 3d modeler.
-An Undo, just because of all the whiners!!!
-Integrated or (God forbid) replacement Ray Tracer. The Scaline renderer is good for me and better than what many of the people complaining could use to it's fullest (except the mirrored ball reflecting another mirrored ball on a tile floor).
-I don't want the game engine back, or at least as integrated. It's just a "don't go there" item for me. I use Blender to make animations, and the game engine was not quite there at it's best. It just reminded me of a Microsoft-esque code bloat. If the Game engie could lend to an animation with rag-doll physics or collision detection to prevent objects in an animation from intersecting... maybe.

-Most of all I don't want Blender to go away, and whatever the people doing the devlopment can do to keep Blender alive is OK with me (even if they turn it into a Maya Clone with game engine, raytracer and unlimited Undo).

Money_YaY!

Postby Money_YaY! » Thu May 08, 2003 5:44 pm

Do not want it to suck

Return to “Interface & Tools”