save/save as - a simple action?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

win

save/save as - a simple action?

Postby win » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:30 pm

Hi,

the last half year I've learnd to use GIMP and now I want to master BLENDER. That implies, it is not difficult for me to get on with programmes - until now.

The first massive barrier is - normally the simplest action: save a file with a new name. With F2 it changes into the file browser, but it isn't possible to set a cursor for writing a new name. The only what occurs is a small pop-up: titeld "save over"

I've tried different downloads/installations: WIN installer and alternative
ZIP-files, with and without C+/PYTHON - always the same result: only choice "save over". That's getting me down.

If anyone have an advise, I would be much obliged.
Kind regards... Winfried

jesterKing
Site Admin

Postby jesterKing » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:05 pm

win

Postby win » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:48 am

jesterKing wrote:http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/The_Vital_Functions

/Nathan

Sorry, I know how to save a file !
The problem is:
it isn't possible to set a cursor for writing a new name. The only what occurs is a small pop-up: titeld "save over"
Kind regards... Winfried

stiv

Postby stiv » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm

To give the file a new name, click with your mouse in the text box showing the file name. In the example jesterKing mentioned, this text box is the one that says 'halostep.blend' and is at the same level as the Cancel button.

win

save/save as

Postby win » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:23 pm

Yes, yes, yes... I get crazy!

I know what the text box is. Your description in detail is wonderful!
But there is no possibility to put in a new word
Not with the LMB or the RMB - with ENTER there comes "Save over"
Kind regards... Winfried

kAinStein

Re: save/save as

Postby kAinStein » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:05 am

win wrote:Yes, yes, yes... I get crazy!

I know what the text box is. Your description in detail is wonderful!
But there is no possibility to put in a new word
Not with the LMB or the RMB - with ENTER there comes "Save over"

Works fine here and I guess for rest, too. What version are you using and what are your system specs? Is something else wrong or doesn't work?

stiv

Postby stiv » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:08 am

Seems pretty straightforward:

F2 - bring up file file browser
LMB on filename - highlights file name for editing
...change file name. if you do not change it, and keep going, you get the save over question later...
ENTER - confirm filename
ENTER - save file

Being developers, we are clueless about these kinds of problems. You might try asking at the user forums on blenderartists.org

More resources:
Answers for New Users

win

save/save as

Postby win » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:17 pm

Thanks for reach an understanding. I'm clueless too!

First Problem: No possibility to set a cursor for writing a new name, to
save it as this at the file browser.
additional: No possibility to place figures directly into number-fields
of the user-preferences. And at least...
No possibility to minimize the screen window.
All other functions are all right as far as I can judge.

My system is WIN XP with sercice pack 2. Other system benchmarks aren't downloadable (check text system-info.txt! - but there is no such file!)

BLENDER 2.46 installed from the ZIP-files without C+/PYTHON in addition.
This was one of many kinds of installations!
Other main programms are OPEN OFFICE/GIMP/PAPER PORT/MOZILLA:
FIREFOX & THUNDERBIRD - in all this software the described problems
aren't come in sight.

My appeal for help I've edited in blenderartists.org too, but I've got
no reaction until now.
Kind regards... Winfried

dollpartz

Re: save/save as - a simple action?

Postby dollpartz » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:17 pm

win wrote:Hi,

the last half year I've learnd to use GIMP and now I want to master BLENDER. That implies, it is not difficult for me to get on with programmes - until now.

The first massive barrier is - normally the simplest action: save a file with a new name. With F2 it changes into the file browser, but it isn't possible to set a cursor for writing a new name. The only what occurs is a small pop-up: titeld "save over"

I've tried different downloads/installations: WIN installer and alternative
ZIP-files, with and without C+/PYTHON - always the same result: only choice "save over". That's getting me down.

If anyone have an advise, I would be much obliged.

SAVE (Ctrl-W) will offer only save over if you have saved it before, but SAVE AS (F2) goes to the file browser, and at the top of this are text boxes where you can type the name of the file. Just click on the text box beside the CANCEL button. Maybe you didn't recognize it as a text box?

Oops ... somehow I missed all the other replies ... something wrong with yer set-up then. I'd get the latest Python and install it. Un-install the old one and install the new one. I got Python 2.5 installed ... I did that separately.... still .... How old is yer computer? And video card?

jesterKing
Site Admin

Postby jesterKing » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:55 pm

I still don't understand how it doesn't work. So for good measures, I made a short screencast of how it works:

http://www.letworyinteractive.com/blend ... aveas.html

Enjoy.

/Nathan

stiv

Postby stiv » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:43 pm

I'd get the latest Python and install it

This is *not* a Python issue.

From the description,
First Problem: No possibility to set a cursor for writing a new name, to save it as this at the file browser.
additional: No possibility to place figures directly into number-fields of the user-preferences.

(and assuming 'click in the box' is not a problem), this is sounding more like a graphics driver/video card issue. I seem to recall a bug report or two like this.

Let me guess: you have either on-board graphics or a very low-end graphics card like SiS(and assuming 'click in the box' is not a problem, or ATI. Usually fixes are
* turn off any eye-candy window manager features
* upgrade to latest drivers or rollback to earlier version
* buy a cheap graphics card with good OpenGL support (nVidia cards tend to work well)

kAinStein

Postby kAinStein » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:51 pm

Yep. Stay with stiv! That would also be my guess why it doesn't work - that's why I asked for the specs.

win

Save as

Postby win » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:57 pm

Many thanks for your substantial feedback.
First the discussion was to elementary, now it is becoming extremely difficult:
On-board/low-end grafics card/ATI/OpenGL support are terms beyond my IT-ken - I'm an average pc-consumer!
What I've understand is, I should buy a new grafic-card to run BLENDER.

Sorry, I fail to see is why GIMP/PAINT/PAPER PORT/IRVAN VIEW - all acting
with pictures a n d bring under control the basic functions of WINDOWS, only BLENDER won't play along.
Kind regards... Winfried

kAinStein

Re: Save as

Postby kAinStein » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:04 pm

win wrote:What I've understand is, I should buy a new grafic-card to run BLENDER.

Not necessarily. Just take look what graphics card you are using and try getting proper driver for it - which means: the latest drivers - or if you have the latest then try some older. Important is that your card has a good OpenGL support.

Sorry, I fail to see is why GIMP/PAINT/PAPER PORT/IRVAN VIEW - all acting with pictures a n d bring under control the basic functions of WINDOWS, only BLENDER won't play along.

It's not about "acting with pictures", it's about drawing dynamic graphics fast. OpenGL is a industry standard and platform independent graphics library for generating, manipulating and displaying 2D and 3D graphics - in realtime. None of the applications you've mentioned do that. So you can't compare with them. You could compare with 3D games though most games use the Microsoft library DirectX - which is Microsoft only but has a good support for hardware (mainly because of the games).

Blender makes extreme use of OpenGL - everything is drawn via OpenGL functions, including the interface. This makes the interface fast and offers features that wouldn't be possible that easy or fasr (like zooming, etc. - it should be all done in hardware). So a card with good OpenGL support is essential! Nvidia cards usually have good drivers (I made good experiences with them). ATI cards are known to cause problems (though I haven't had any problem with it). Same with cheap onboard graphics chips. If you have one of them it would be reasonable to do what stiv said and get a cheap Nvidia card.

Hope it helps.

win

Re: Save as

Postby win » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:11 am

Hi,

the problem is effectively solved:

My card: Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family
Driver: igxpmp32
I've updated that driver - and BLENDER will edit figures & files.

I thank you for all your support!!!
Kind regards... Winfried

Return to “Interface & Tools”